• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    For an AR with a 16" barrel, 500 yds IS long range. My AR with a 20" barrel delivers 5" groups at 500 yds.

Do not disagree with you. The OP question was kinda vague, so I was trying to gain some clarification. 200Yds is long range some folk, and considered just getting started by others.

FWIW, I did not say sub-moa for my rifle at that range either. I can consitently ring 8" steel with it though.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I've got some pretty big glass on it so I'm hoping for decent groups. I don't have any sub-moa notions but as close to a minute as I can get it. Range is really limited by my barrel length I'm guessing. If it'll go out to 600 than great. This isn't a hunting gun, just my intro into long range shooting. I've got buddies with some big nasty bolt guns and that's the eventual goal when the funds arrive. I've had the AR for a year so I figured I'd throw a scope on it and see what happens.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    There is going to be some velocity loss/gain with barrel length, yes. However, the difference may not be as notable as you are thinking. You need to figure out how heavy a bullet you can stabilize and how far out. Shoot paper and look to see if you nice bullet sized holes, or oblong tears from a tumbling projectile. I know some fellas who shoot 16" AR's a llllloooooonnnnggggg way out there, quite successfully I might add.

Do you reload?

Operator experience is going to be the most crucial thing you're after though.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I do not currently reload. And I know eventually that would be a limiting factor, but I honestly think I'll reach the max accuracy of the gun before that happens. It's not a match barrel or bcg or trigger. Just a bone stock M&P. From what I've researched so far, I'm really curious to see what a 69grSMK would do.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    i reload 75gr BTHP Hornady bullets they work great. Some time Plainfield Shooter Supplies will have them in loaded Hornady ammo as well.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I was hoping for loaded ammo. I have access to a press if I had to, but I'd have to get primers and powder. Didn't want to go through the hassle since I'm just doing testing.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    It's a shame that 1) you aren't closer to me and 2) you dont see all the benefits of reloading. Bullet weight is but one of MANY possibilities when reloading. Different powders, charge amounts, projectiles, seating lengths, primers and the ability for consistency that any factor "match" ammo couldn't dream about. I could load you a thousand different combinations to test and figure out exactly what your rifle likes.

I have a spotting scope very close to my reloading bench when the weather is warmer. Load five of something, shoot em from the reloading room and see what cha got. Adjust as neccesary. Your ability to go very long range with a 16" AR is more possible than you are thinking if you can really figure out what the rifle is asking for.

Top Bottom