• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rellik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Went to my cousins house and he gave me 75 rounds of .308. They are stamped LC 04 and LC 05. He pulled them out of a small nylon pouch and put them into a plastic grocery store bag for me to take home. Got them home and started sorting through them and I realized they smell like cat pee and even make my hands like cat pee. I have never had ammo smell like this. He doesn't have a cat but I dunno if he ever did and it peed on them at one time or if its something else. Anyone have any advice on what to do (I don't want them to make new rifle stink of cat ****)?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Are the cases otherwise in good condition? Do you see any signs of corrosion?

If not, wipe them down with a rag and isopropyl alcohol. If you're a reloader, tumble them for a short time in a dry media to see if that helps.

Rellik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I am not a reloader. Most of the cases are getting a greenish blue ring around them about 1/16th of an inch thick just below the shoulder of the casing. I'm scared to shoot them.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Shoot 'em. Gunpowder residue will overwhelm the cat pee. Reload as normal after that. Problem solved. :coffee:

Seriously, dip in vinegar and clean them with a bit of fine steel wool.

Or send them to me. I'll even pay for shipping!

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If.you're unsure, don't use them. No free ammo is worth hurting yourself/others or destroying your firearm.
    You could pull a few of them apart. Is it extra old or stored wet? (I know you're not sure based on OP - these are my first impressions though)

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Went to my cousins house and he gave me 75 rounds of .308. They are stamped LC 04 and LC 05. He pulled them out of a small nylon pouch and put them into a plastic grocery store bag for me to take home. Got them home and started sorting through them and I realized they smell like cat pee and even make my hands like cat pee. I have never had ammo smell like this. He doesn't have a cat but I dunno if he ever did and it peed on them at one time or if its something else. Anyone have any advice on what to do (I don't want them to make new rifle stink of cat ****)?

Wash your hands good.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lots of cheaper steel case smells like that when you shoot it. Wolf or Golden Tiger always makes the range smell like a litter box.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    In my experience (from brass cased ammo and guitar strings), brass, copper, and steel can get a bit of an odor if it's been handled a lot and expecially if with wet hands.

I repeat, if in doubt, DON'T use it. If you have any buddies that reload, they could pull a couple apart and maybe test powder that it hasn't gotten wet. Properly stored and handled ammo should outlast the shooter, but in the real world ammo is often not handled and stored correctly

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    firing-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    One of the primary components of urine is ammonia. Ammonia is hell on brass; weakens the molecular structure, even. Shibumseeker has forgotten more about reloading that most of the guys on this forum, so it's no coincidence the advice he's given you is the best so far.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I am not a reloader. Most of the cases are getting a greenish blue ring around them about 1/16th of an inch thick just below the shoulder of the casing. I'm scared to shoot them.

The greenish blue ring...
    Can you post a photo of that?

Top Bottom