• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all - I'm new to reloading and am gathering components to start a new adventure - including a new 357 revolver :)
    So, I was at a local army/navy store and they had a box of 1k Federal Small Pistol Primers. I've read so much online how that seems to be the preferred primer for revolvers, that I snatched them up (@$38, not too bad, better than a hazmat shipping fee for an online purchase). In today's market, the cheapest I'm seeing 1k primers is right about $30-35, and those are supposedly lesser primers (either harder, not as reliable, as per other internet forums...which I always take with a grain of salt anyways...) But, I'm new to this, so tell me if I overpaid.

So, my question is: are there any downsides to "soft" primers?
    do they not seat as easily?
    do they get deformed easier? etc.

P.s. I most definitely know about the reason for seeking soft primers in a revolver. That being, to be able to lighten the springs enough to dramatically ease trigger pull. I'm not asking about benefits, I'm asking about potential drawbacks. I'll be installing a 10 lb trigger and 10 lb hammer springs on my gun tonight, and those should strike hard enough to ignite any factory primer (again, as per internet consensus - I'll go back to factory in a heartbeat if they hiccup)

Thanks in advance

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The only downside I can think of is a potential increased risk of an accidental detonation if one gets crushed while you're priming brass.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The only thing I've ever heard of with "soft" primers is using them in a semi auto military style with "floating" firing pins (AR's,M1A's,M1Garnds) The chance of a slam fire is increased.
    Having said that I've loaded a ton of Win primers in M1's and M1A's and AR's ,never had a slam fire. As long as there are no high primers you should be alright.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Consider yourself lucky to have them. They are tough to find.
    There is no downside. They are the ones to use for a revolver
    and they work through the hottest loads.
    Some cases are tight for any primer S&B are worst.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I use mostly Federals. A few CCI-since they got softer- Started with Fed due to the custom work we did to our revolvers years ago.
    Fed worked so well I stayed with them.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have been reloading for 33 years. I have certain revolvers with light trigger jobs that will only shoot Federal primers. I keep other revolvers set up with decent trigger jobs that still fire Winchester primers. That is possible. I have never had an accidental detonation of any primer. I have loaded over 200,000 rounds, although that includes rifle and shotgun. I hand seat my rifle primers and seat pistol primers on my press, which is now a progressive.

Good luck loading and shooting your revolver.

Top Bottom