• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    A couple years ago I bought a Mosin Nagant rifle and a 400-round can of surplus ammo. Last summer I finally got around to taking it to my in-laws' house to shoot it. Well, it happened to be a rainy day, so I grabbed a few packs of ammo out of the can to take out in the yard with me to shoot. I left the open can on the porch to keep it out of the rain.

After about 30 minutes of shooting, I went back to the porch to grab a few more packs of ammo. When I got there I found that, just as my typical luck would dictate, the spot I left the can was directly under a valley in the roof that was allowing the rain to run directly into the open can. The can was full of water. Naturally, after screaming like a girl, I immediately poured the water out and rushed into the house to try and salvage what I could. I laid a towel out on the kitchen table and proceeded to unwrap each of the packs onto the towel, after which I rolled the rounds vigorously, wrapped in the towel, to dry them off.

While the ammo *was* wrapped in the oil/wax paper that it had been packed with in the can, the rounds were still pretty much all wet. After drying them, I've left them piled loose in a closed ammo can ever since. My question is, can I reasonably expect the ammo to be ok (most of it, anyway), now that it's had plenty of time to dry completely?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You realize that you are worked up over Military Surplus ammo, right? You know the stuff that is made to function in severe harsh environments? Including rain and mud?

It will be fine.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It was designed to be used in all weather conditions. NO WORRIES on the ammo at all.
    After it was dried I'd wipe it down with a soft cloth lightly moistened with Rem-oil or similar to prevent oxidation to keep it pretty.

Top Bottom