• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I am reading Ed Mcgiverns Fast And Fancy Revolver Shooting and got to the part about Ariel shooting. It sure seems like fun, but also seems like it would be pretty darn hard to find a place to do it safely. I googled some max distance charts and seems they say that 380 auto will go around 1000yds max. Well 1000yd ain't so hard to find. I have a new to me 32-20 and i input a 98gr wadcutter at 500fps into JBM calculator it and came up with a 1000yd max travel estimation. However I cannot find any load data for such a low speed. I have an 8lb jug of Unique, is Unique safe to start at say a 3gr load and work down in charge, checking for velocity and the bullet actually exiting the barrel?
    Is Unique very position sensitive?
    Is there a powder more ideal for this purpose?(remember I already have big jug of unique)
    Any advice is appreciated

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I know it's not very helpful, but I was just curious...were you able to run the calculations with, say, 22 short run out of a revolver? Would seem like a potential solution, unless you're really dead-set on shooting this particular 32-20 for some reason?

Excellent book, by the way. I spent a fair amount of time doing this with dirt clods after reading that book, and it surprised me what you can accomplish with practice. If nothing else, it really shows you it is possible to focus on the front sight with a moving target.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I don't own a 22 revolver with a decent double action pull. I do have a 32-20 with one. Plus handloading to solve individual problems is kind of fun. And 22 isn't cheap anymore.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    What about using a lead roundball? I believe a .32 cal roundball is .314. It would probably travel less distance than a heavier WC. I'd think the fastest powder you could find would be better. Unique is fairly quick and very versatile, but maybe Red Dot or Bullseye?

Top Bottom