Does .38 Super require its own dies, or will .38 special/.357 dies work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Title says it. My understanding is the bullet itself is the same, but obviously the case length is quite different.

Totally different. Needs it's own dies and uses the same bullet as 9mm (.356).

.38%20Super%20Automatic1.gif

.38%20Special35.gif

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not sure about the dies, I believe they are different but obviously the shell holder is different.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT] NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [h=3]Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member[/h] [FONT=&quot]https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/335042-making-glock-shootable-worked.html [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Aight, thanks. I knew I needed a different shell holder, but I have that covered. I was mulling over a Commander in .38 super, but I'm hesitant to add a new caliber to the logistics table, so to speak.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Again... They are NOT the same dies as 9mm. 9mm cases are tapered, .38 Super are not. The shell plates are the same, but the dies are not.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a set of 38 S&W dies, and if I am reading the label correctly, they will work for 38 Super with a shell plate change...

I think you are reading it wrong, you will find out shortly if you try. The .38 S&W dies won't resize the brass enough, and your ammo won't run.

Reloading manuals come in awful handy.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I have tried several different brands of 38 super dies.
    Lees and Hornady titanium are both unsatisfactory.
    Lees did not resize small enough.
    Hornady left a ridge of over working the brass.
    Dillons are currently my choice.
    With a 9mm set of dies you can adjust the belling, seating, and crimping dies for 38 super.
    The sizer is slightly different. Just get a Dillon sizer die and you are good to go.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I think you are reading it wrong, you will find out shortly if you try. The .38 S&W dies won't resize the brass enough, and your ammo won't run.

Reloading manuals come in awful handy.

The .38 S&W takes a bullet diameter of .360". That's why they won't resize the brass enough. They will also expand the mouth too much. I do know that 38 Super dies will work. I use Lee dies and they work fine for my Super. I don't know why people try to make other dies work. You will need to re-adjust the dies each time you change calibers. Just get the right dies and adjust them once.

Yes, reloading manuals are very helpful. Newer reloaders seem to think they are not needed.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The .38 S&W takes a bullet diameter of .360". That's why they won't resize the brass enough. They will also expand the mouth too much. I do know that 38 Super dies will work. I use Lee dies and they work fine for my Super. I don't know why people try to make other dies work. You will need to re-adjust the dies each time you change calibers. Just get the right dies and adjust them once.

Yes, reloading manuals are very helpful. Newer reloaders seem to think they are not needed.

Never intended to try, as I do not own a 38 Super. I purchased the dies for a 38 S&W to reload for an Uncle that has an old Webly. I was going from memory, and that might have been where I was wrong. Looking at the label on the box, it it listed as "38 Auto", in my understanding to be an older name for the 38 Super.

I couldnt comment on the suitability of these dies for that dual purpose, only that according to the manufacturers labeling that it was true.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    45fan, I was just expanding on CB45's comment that .38 S&W dies would not size 38 Super brass enough. I did not mean to suggest you were wrong in your observation. The manufacturer may have listed another cartridge that was compatible. I am not familiar with the 38 Auto.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, I wrote my statement backwards... 38 S&W dies will resize 38 Super brass too much...

Casewall OD of difference of 0.005" maybe OK if you don't mind working the brass a little more.

Good luck.

Edit: Also there is the roll crimp vs taper crimp difference between the two.

Top Bottom