• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I have a set of lee delux dies for 223. But it doesn't have a factory crimp die, can I unscrew the mandrel from the neck sizing die and use only the Collet to crimp? Or should I just buy the factory crimp die separately. I have only loaded 30\30 rds in the past and have no experience with other rifle rounds. They will be fired from an ar15 if that matters any.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It DOES matter that these rounds will be fired from an AR. If you were shooting them from a bolt gun or break action, you wouldn't need to crimp at all.

I've never heard of anyone doing what you propose and my concern is that it may be difficult to control or determine the amount of crimp you're applying.

I should point out that the seating die in the set you got will apply a perfectly adequate taper crimp, if adjusted properly. You can also seat all the bullets in one operation and then back the seating stem out and adjust the seating die to crimp in a separate operation. I don't find it all that difficult to adjust the die to do both at once.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What I do..

Call me strange, but I did at one time worry about the crimp on my AR loads. I came across this used and bought:
    223 Remington AR Series Taper Crimp Seater Die | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

I, like some others do NOT care to seat+crimp @ the same time.

I seat my .223 with a Redding Comp. Seating die, and then run them all through this RCBS die after. Be advised that I trim to 1.750", and chamfer inside/outside all of my brass also...Bill.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    It DOES matter that these rounds will be fired from an AR. If you were shooting them from a bolt gun or break action, you wouldn't need to crimp at all.

I've never heard of anyone doing what you propose and my concern is that it may be difficult to control or determine the amount of crimp you're applying.

I should point out that the seating die in the set you go will apply a perfectly adequate taper crimp, if adjusted properly. You can also seat all the bullets in one operation and then back the seating stem out and adjust the seating die to crimp in a separate operation. I don't find it all that difficult to adjust the die to do both at once.
    this would seem like my best option at the given moment, at least until I can find a factory crimp die. It will be a while before I will complete the loads as I still lack powder and primer, so it is all case prep and load selection at this point. As I said before the only experience I have is with 30/30 and I managed to create my favorite load the first time around. I don't think I'll get that lucky with 223./5.56 though lol. Trial and error I guess, thanks for the help. :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    this would seem like my best option at the given moment, at least until I can find a factory crimp die. It will be a while before I will complete the loads as I still lack powder and primer, so it is all case prep and load selection at this point. As I said before the only experience I have is with 30/30 and I managed to create my favorite load the first time around. I don't think I'll get that lucky with 223./5.56 though lol. Trial and error I guess, thanks for the help. :)

Actually, when you do your homework on components, and stick with QUALITY bullets, it isn't at all unusual to find very good accuracy and function from the very first bullet/powder combo you try. You just have to make sure it's a suitable powder and work your way up in 1/2 grain increments. I will even go up .3 or .4 at a time, in smaller cases like the 223 Remington.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Actually, when you do your homework on components, and stick with QUALITY bullets, it isn't at all unusual to find very good accuracy and function from the very first bullet/powder combo you try. You just have to make sure it's a suitable powder and work your way up in 1/2 grain increments. I will even go up .3 or .4 at a time, in smaller cases like the 223 Remington.
    when I loaded the 30/30 for my lever action at first the action wouldn't close all the way, turns out I used the oal for flat point and I was using a flat nose, so I pushed it 0.010 in and to err on the side of caution used the minimum starting grains. Now I just can't find the bullets anymore ( 170gr serria FN ). Or course I was using hornady leveroution. I tend to do a lot of looking and checking before hand.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Prior to the current Obamanation of a government we have today, reloaders could work up something they really liked and then easily locate (at reasonable prices) the components to reproduce that combination. When conservatives regain control of both the House and Senate this November, the 2-year nightmare we've been going through with ammo and components will gradually come to an end. Just like any hysteria, this, too, shall pass. A time will come again when every shelf has 22 rimfire on it and you'll be able to go online and order Sierra 170gr FN bullets any old time. :)

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I guess in the meantime il will have to find a new load. That's ok though....i first ordered more serria 170gr fn from bite the bullet in march of 2013, they still haven't came in......

Top Bottom