• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Why is it so difficult to find shotshell powders? Is it because people use them for handgun cartridges, too?

I started reloading rifle cartridges last year, and I thought rifle powders were pretty hard to come by. Finding shotshell powders (at reasonable prices) is even more challenging!

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Why is it so difficult to find shotshell powders? Is it because people use them for handgun cartridges, too?

I started reloading rifle cartridges last year, and I thought rifle powders were pretty hard to come by. Finding shotshell powders (at reasonable prices) is even more challenging!

The problem is mult-faceted. First, one of the more commonly used and popular 12 ga. powders is Clays. The factory had a fire about 6 months ago and production ceased. This caused trap/skeet/sporting clays shooters that reload to switch to other powders like Red Dot, Blue Dot, American Select, etc. Because of the lack of availability, much like .22 ammunition, many folks are purchasing what they can when they can which also contributes to the problem. Additionally, some of the "shotgun" powders can also be used for reloading common pistol calibers so the cross over demand is happening.

For a reality check there was an auction on Gunbroker last week for an 8 lb. can of Clays. The buy now price was $600 and the last time I looked the bid was over $500. That's over $60 a pound ! This kind of powder generally would be selling for around $20 a pound. This, I think, has caused many reloaders to rethink the process when they can buy the cheaper shells like Gun Clubs, Rios, etc. With powder high priced and difficult to find, shot at over $40 a 25 lb. bag, and primers selling for over $35 a thousand it begins to become a losing proposition to reload.

I didn't see the .22 shortage coming so I have been unsuccessfully looking for .22 ammo. On the other hand, I was stupid lucky enough to stockpile reloading components for 12, 20, 28 and .410 shells.

Good luck with you search.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield

I must admit to being part of your problem. I do have a favorite pistol powder but it has become increasingly hard to find, so I have had to change brands. My new favorite is "Whatever I Can Find". I used to buy powder a pound or two as I was reloading, but now I find myself buying a case or preferably an 8 pound jug. Just checked my shelf and there is 24 pounds of 5 different powders. I think I am set for a while so I might leave some now and then for you unless I come across an 8 pounder of Titegroup but I will not pay the $400 that I recently saw on Gunbroker (Nursebell, you should be ashamed!)

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Interesting fact about the Clays factory. That is unfortunate.

I'll keep my eyes open, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to come across an 8-lb container of something one of these days.

As amboy49 said, it's hardly economical to reload at these prices, so I guess I can shoot factory loads and build up my collection of hulls in the meantime.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I haven't had any issue. Have bought quite a bit over the past 30 days, but I'm new as in Ive only been reloading it for a month now. I have picked up 5 different lbrs (extra-lite, 20/28, titewad, international, longshot) and a 4lb jug of Universal. Also already had hs-6 on hand. Now if I were picky, I think I may or may not run into a problem.

been getting my powder from indiana gun club and atterbury shooting complex. Good luck

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI

What are you looking for?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    ALL Alliant powders are currently scarce around here. I did grab a keg of clay dot a couple months ago when I saw it, but I usually use red dot.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    My local dealer is fairly well stocked to the brim with many Alliant powders including kegs of Promo. They also have both of the Alliant shot shell powders for long range loads and for target loads which I didn't take note of their names.
    What they did run out of early on was Power Pistol which wasn't restocked like the Promo was, and I haven't seen any Bullseye there but they have a lot of single pounds of the Alliant one and two digit rifle powder numbers.

Last edited:

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom