billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Primer pocket loose...

The primer pocket is oversize, or the primer is undersize.

If this was a reloaded case, the orginal load/handload was PROBABLY too hot.

If this was a reloaded case, there may have been too agressive clean/swage of primer pocket.

In any case, this should go into the scrap bin..Bill.

PS: There is a chance?? if this is a factory load that the primer cup was bent during the install.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    This was reloaded by myself. New Winchester Brass, CCI magnum primer, H380 38.0 grains, and Nosler V 55gr.

There may have been a 'Burr' on the edge of the primer/primer pocket. That is powder gas escaping where it should NOT..

I see a small "ding" in the primer cup. Decap and inspect the primer. It may have been defectve or split.

+1 Dave..Upon inspection, the case MAY?? still be OK. Need to remove, clean pocket, and see if it feels like a 'firm' pressure to install a new primer..Bill.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    That looks like a bad primer. I've seen in the past primer with defects. Look up defective primers and you get a lot of pics like the one above.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    My first thought would be a bent rim on your primer. Path of least resistance. Took the same pressure to send the projectile, as it did to force gasses past the dented rim.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    That's exactly what I was talking about. How is your bolt face? Can you post up a picture of the bolt face.

Was your round a reload or factory. I would be calling asking the to replace my bolt if this happened to me.

RSW

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    2v2y34i.jpg

Bad primer, as there was no damage to the primer pocket. The round fired though, and I didn't have a 3-shot group over 1" at 100 yards, in 10 groupings- so it must not have affected the bullet too badly.

Did the round fire? I've seen an occasional new brass with no flash hole.

What was your COAL exactly?

BTW, whatever happened with your 300 WinMag troubles?

COAL: not sure because I don't have the specs in front of me, but I used the Speer reloading manual spec for a 55gr ballistic tip spitzer. 2.350" I assume.

Also, still having trouble with those Winchester bullets in my 300wm. I made a batch with Nosler ballistic tip 165gr and they were fine. But I pulled those Winchester bullets, resized and trimmed brass, and made one test round using the Winchester bullet and it still wouldn't chamber- I even ran the COAL down to 3.15 (I know I know, I won't use it!), and still can't lock the bolt down.

Top Bottom