Newbee needs help with choosing Die Sets!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    Press is on it's way (a single stage) and miscellaneous equipment also. But I just can't make up my mind on Die Sets!! I know it's probably not that hard of a decision to make I have just researched my self to a point of confusion!! I am going to be doing 9mm Lugar, .45 ACP and .223/5.56. I would like the most bang for my buck but not necessarily the cheapest! I have taken Andrews class at Profire EXCELLANT COARSE by the way, I do know from that Carbide Dies for the 9 & 45 and steel for the .223. I have read enough to know Lee will be the least costly but maybe not the best quality. RCBS has a set of AR dies for the .223/5.56 then they also go to the extreme of replaceable neck sizing rings for competition match ammo loads. I mainly just want to kill cardboard so I don't think custom neck rings are needed. Can someone suggest good sets of dies that I can get that would be user friendly for a novice Reloader.

Many thanks for any input in advance.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Opinions are like --- -----....

Each handloader out there have their favorites..Here are mine in perfered order:

1. Dillon Dies

2. Redding Dies

3. RCBS Dies

4. Hornady Dies

5. Lyman Dies

100. Lee Dies

Like I said, everyone has their own opinion..Bill.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    Each handloader out there have their favorites..Here are mine in perfered order:

1. Dillon Dies

2. Redding Dies

3. RCBS Dies

4. Hornady Dies

5. Lyman Dies

100. Lee Dies

Like I said, everyone has their own opinion..Bill.

Thanks, Billybob44 I kind of figured it to be that way just like asking the age old question Ford Chevy or Dodge!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    While I Truly respect Billybob's opinion and always look forward to reading his posts on reloading, I have to differ with him. I use almost exclusively Lee Dies and have had no trouble whatsoever. For the price and availability they are great. I do use Redding for a couple rifle calibers and they are fine dies as well. Like BB44 said...everyone has their opinion.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Lee has been selling die sets for so long I seriously doubt they rate down at 100.

Their dies are made at a price point just as all the other manufactures die sets.

Just like Fishersjohn48 says, everyone has an opinion, just as they have a few other things.

Brassman65

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    anderson
    I run a mix of Lee, Hornady(pacific) and RCBS dies on my presses. Its all up to the reloader. Me personally I hate Hornady's size and prime dies and substitute them for RCBS or Lee generally. But I prefer the Hornady seating dies with MicroJust over the RCBS seating dies. But Everyone has an opinion. Everyone here could bash an RCBS set and you try one and love it.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    I have been thinking Lee for the handgun but where I am most uncertain is for the rifle!

Has anyone used the AR series from RCBS? What I've read they are a touch smaller for feeding purpose in the simi auto feed. Also read they taper crimp for the canaluver in bullets, but then what if the bullets you load with do not have that would you not want a factory crimp?

Or am I over thinking this?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Truth is, they all work. Guys have loaded bajillions of rounds of 223/5.56 w/o the use of "AR" dies. With most things in life, you get the quality for which you paid. However, Lee dies are one of those rare products that are of truly good quality, at a very reasonable price point. I have RCBS, Pacific, Hornady, Lyman and Lee dies...they ALL make perfectly suitable ammunition, when used properly.

If I was allowed only 1 brand of reloading die, I would be quite happy with RCBS.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    I personally go with RCBS because of the way they have treated me. I have bent 4 decapping rods and have yet to pay for a replacement. Just call and tell them what you need and it's in the mail at no charge.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Been reloading 20 years and I've never has a single issue with a Lee die, not even a broken decapper pin. I wouldn't reload half of the things I have dies for if it weren't for Lee.

If you're going to pay more than Lee just go ahead and get Redding.

My $0.02.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    I am thinking RCBS is the way to go, just read on another site that if I go with the smaller AR set and did not need them it could cause premature failure of the case. So I guess I will start with a standard set and hope I am not waisting my money!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I personally go with RCBS because of the way they have treated me. I have bent 4 decapping rods and have yet to pay for a replacement. Just call and tell them what you need and it's in the mail at no charge.

Have done the same thing and lost the small primer rod for the hand primer. Called RCBS and they said haven't heard from you in while, what is your address, the part will be sent out tomorrow, no charge.

That's service, something that seems to be lost these days.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Lee dies have worked well for me. You will probably make a few mistakes as you learn the reloading process, and it's easier to stomach those mistakes when you aren't using top of the line components. Buy the nice dies after you get past the learning curve.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Get the Lee 4 die deluxe set for pistol.
    It comes with the factory crimp die which is highly recommended to use.
    I would suggest getting a Hornaday lock-n-load adapter kit for you press and dies.
    It will save you a lot of time switching between dies on that single stage press and resetting the dies every time.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    Lee dies have worked well for me. You will probably make a few mistakes as you learn the reloading process, and it's easier to stomach those mistakes when you aren't using top of the line components. Buy the nice dies after you get past the learning curve.

Now why did I not think of that, I have found all 3 three sets I plan on starting with for about $130.00 in Lee verses $80.00 for just one set of RCBS.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    Get the Lee 4 die deluxe set for pistol.
    It comes with the factory crimp die which is highly recommended to use.
    I would suggest getting a Hornaday lock-n-load adapter kit for you press and dies.
    It will save you a lot of time switching between dies on that single stage press and resetting the dies every time.

I was looking into that and probably will do it.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    Thank you everyone for input you have helped me past my mentle hurdle.

1) Get Lee dies to get started with.
    2) Next year when I have decided weather or not this is something I will stick with or not will upgrade to a progressive and maybe differant die sets.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have been loading for > 33 years. I have most maker's dies, except Dillon. Never cared for them much. I like Lee and they work as well as any others out there. The one thing where I think Lee beats most other dies is the bullet seater adjustabilty. If you load different bullets, it is easier to adjust Lee and Hornady dies.

Say I am setting up 38 Special. What I do is make a dummy round for each bullet type I will use, seated to the proper OAL. When I change bullets, unscrew the seater plug a little, put the dummy round in the shellholder, and raise the press' ram so the cartrdge is all the way in the die. Now, just screw down the seater plug until it contacts the bullet nose. The seater die is set for that bullet now.

Top Bottom