Broke the rules,made up a 30-30 squirrel load- is it safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Found some 125 gr. cast bullets at the LGS, stacked 'em on .5cc [3.5 gr.] of Red Dot as a starting point, and am very pleased with the accuracy and low noise level. No visible leading in my Micro Groove Marlin, which was my big worry. They bury themselves deep into the walnut logs I'm using as a backstop, as well. Couldn't find any load data for anything similar, and am curious about approx. velocity, and pressure. Pretty quiet, seems tame enough, but, you never know...Anybody have info on a similar load?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Check on Cast Boolits, there is probably plenty of info on reduced velocity cast loads for 30-30.:)

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Spent a lot of time there,in fact! Nothing came up, except heavier bullets at low velocity(170-190 gr) and some round ball info. I went through about 30 rounds with good results, planning to make up another 60 or so, see how they drop at say 30-60yds-been shooting at 25 yds today. I'd like to be in the 1200-1300 vel.range

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Pete- Haha!- yeah- I actually was the O.P. on that thread- They worked at 20 yds [length of my garage], but went all "squirrely" [not in a good way] at longer range. This is my second attempt- hoping for 1" groups at 50 yds without leading the barrel or blowing up the squirrel. May be on to something here...

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    up to 10-13 grains is fine read ce harris cast bullet in military rifles and Pacos small charges in rifle cases articles 10 grains of unique powder is a winner too

Top Bottom