• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Some have asked for a look at my effort at making paper cartridges for the M1866 French Chassepot rifle in response to my posting last week of this old warhorse.

These pics show the tools, materials, and my general approach. If you want a video go to Youtube and search for "Chassepot paper cartridge" and there are 2 or 3 good ones, the same ones I used, basically!

13859536903_2c6c535abe.jpg

13859537133_717431427b.jpg

13859879294_54db8c7c54.jpg

Here are two takes on the final result, one glued to paper tube and one paper-patched and tied to tube.

13859879424_872db55c80.jpg

13859879744_31449c6db0.jpg

The OAL for my rifle with a Buffalo Arms swaged lead .460" 400 gn bullet is 73mm. The tied ones look more authentic but my results shooting were the same with each. I have to state that this is a work in progress for me because my ignition results were only about 65% and I really haven't even tried for any accuracy yet! I was just happy to get some to fire! ;) My problems could be from several directions, weak spring, old musket caps (these are pretty old), or any number of self-inflicted errors in construction. I will post again if and when I get more consistency and some accuracy. Here is me loading and shooting.

13859501095_ca4617e436.jpg

13859500705_f0e153d9dc.jpg

That bayonet object on the rifle is a Magnetospeed chronometer and my 75gn of Pyrodex clocked at 1150fps.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Nice! I think they made cartridges for something like that on one of the episodes of sons of guns or something...anyway, glad to see its do-able by someone w/o a TV crew watching! :)

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    In my family we have a similar looking rifle that dates to 1874 as I recall. Also, think it is a standard cartridge rifle as opposed to paper. Have the bayonet and all. It appears perfectly sound, would be fun to load and fire. I did read somehwere on the internet that cases can be made from 348 Win brass. Will have to look into it in more detail some day.

Great job with that old gun.

Just looked up our gun, it is a Mle 1874 Gras rifle, best I can tell.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Extraordinary project there. French infantry slaughtered Prussians by the thousand with that rifle back in 1870. (Still managed to lose the war :rolleyes: )

Would you happen to have a Dreyse Needle Gun as a companion?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Extraordinary project there. French infantry slaughtered Prussians by the thousand with that rifle back in 1870. (Still managed to lose the war :rolleyes: )

Would you happen to have a Dreyse Needle Gun as a companion?

Shouldn't this be in purple? Because the Germans managed to kill about 4.6 Frenchmen for every fatality they took. The French got a hard fast lesson in 1870 about how to properly fight a modern war.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Shouldn't this be in purple? Because the Germans managed to kill about 4.6 Frenchmen for every fatality they took. The French got a hard fast lesson in 1870 about how to properly fight a modern war.

Purple text? Hardly. The French did indeed slaughter Prussians by the thousand in battle after battle. They just managed to lose the war through infinite corruption, fecklessness and incompetence.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Purple text? Hardly. The French did indeed slaughter Prussians by the thousand in battle after battle. They just managed to lose the war through infinite corruption, fecklessness and incompetence.

The Germans captured their King and Army within a few weeks. Yeah they were incompetent, and the fact that the Germans managed to slaughter 4.6 Frenchmen for every German the French slaughtered didn't help the Frenchies. Wow, the KIA numbers are easily located.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    The Germans captured their King and Army within a few weeks. Yeah they were incompetent, and the fact that the Germans managed to slaughter 4.6 Frenchmen for every German the French slaughtered didn't help the Frenchies. Wow, the KIA numbers are easily located.

What I have said is fact and yes, look up the KIA numbers. Thousands of Germans dead. I never said more Germans than French. I never said the French won the war, or even a single battle of that war.

As you said, WOW! Let's invent something I never said, then try to use it as a club to hit me over the head. And for what? I was expressing admiration for a gentleman bringing a historic weapon back to life....and you're here starting a fight?

Go away dude.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    What I have said is fact and yes, look up the KIA numbers. Thousands of Germans dead. I never said more Germans than French. I never said the French won the war, or even a single battle of that war.

As you said, WOW! Let's invent something I never said, then try to use it as a club to hit me over the head. And for what? I was expressing admiration for a gentleman bringing a historic weapon back to life....and you're here starting a fight?

Go away dude.

Cant handle a little historical debate? Is your ego bruised. Sorry douche.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    UncleNorby, what you have there is the French adaptation to metallic cartridge by re-chambering to 11mm Gras and redoing the bolt to a firing pin rather than needle. I also load and shoot the Gras and I'd like to tell you that my Gras carbine is more accurate than the old paper cartridge weapon. However, my M1874 artillery carbine shoots about 18" high @ 50 yds. so right now I'd trust my life to the Chassepot! :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    UncleNorby, what you have there is the French adaptation to metallic cartridge by re-chambering to 11mm Gras and redoing the bolt to a firing pin rather than needle. I also load and shoot the Gras and I'd like to tell you that my Gras carbine is more accurate than the old paper cartridge weapon. However, my M1874 artillery carbine shoots about 18" high @ 50 yds. so right now I'd trust my life to the Chassepot! :D

Bump in the night? Grab the needle gun! :D

Top Bottom