• chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Here's my $30 Harbor Freight solution:

409232529.jpg

It's very stable with a little weight on the shelf, and takes up a very small footprint.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Need a tarp or something under it. Don't need stuff falling and rolling under stuff.

There will be a PVC chute that drops the finished rounds into an ammo can on the shelf.

maybe add a 2x4 or 2x2 across the bottom, in case you need to use your foot to hold it?

With the ammo can and a box of 3 thousand 147gr projectiles on the shelf, it doesn't budge.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There will be a PVC chute that drops the finished rounds into an ammo can on the shelf.

With the ammo can and a box of 3 thousand 147gr projectiles on the shelf, it doesn't budge.

More along the lines of spilled powder, primers that fall, stuff gets elbowed off, things fall.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    This is a great idea and a great post! Too many of the reloading room pictures and posts make it look like you need to be a billionaire and have an entire room dedicated to your hobby to load ammo.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    When I used to live in an apartment, I had a setup similar to that. I made the mistake of putting my shotshell press on it. You know, spilled #9 shot is almost impossible to vacuum out of a carpet.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Harbor Freight p/n?

Nice. I bolted mine to a bench in the garage...but would be nice to have something I could sit in front of the fireplace and reload during the winters.

Oh...wait. OK, maybe not a stellar idea. Ignore fireplace.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    More along the lines of spilled powder, primers that fall, stuff gets elbowed off, things fall.

Meh. Laying down a tarp kind of negates the small footprint. I am very cautious when I reload and keep lids on everything. If I did happen to have a spill, the room where I'll be loading has hardwood floor so cleanup would be easy.

I'm not new to reloading, I've just always had my press setup in my BIL's basement since space is limited at my place. I figured the new owners of his house might not want me hanging out in their basement, so I had to make other arrangements. :yesway:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That looks like a good idea. I started reloading using a second-hand piece of furniture that had "wings" that I could use for extra space while reloading and a shelf on the bottom. The wings could be folded down out of the way when I wasn't reloading. I covered the whole set up with a table cloth when it was idle. That kept prying eyes at bay. It served its purpose when I lived in a small apartment and loaded on a single-stage press for straight-walled pistol calibers.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thank you for posting this. I was about to buy Lee's stand - but I'd rather buy extra bullets, powder, primers, etc. than spend more money than necessary on the stand.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690688

I'll be using it for 38/357 and 9mm. I think I'll use a slightly longer piece on top, to give me 12-18" of "counter space" on each side.
    Small footprint is the key here!! We're in a crowded townhouse and this would be perfect.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

damn... I just noticed that it weighs almost 20 lbs by itself, steel construction. Awesome!
    Thanks again for posting this!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thank you for posting this. I was about to buy Lee's stand - but I'd rather buy extra bullets, powder, primers, etc. than spend more money than necessary on the stand.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690688

I'll be using it for 38/357 and 9mm. I think I'll use a slightly longer piece on top, to give me 12-18" of "counter space" on each side.
    Small footprint is the key here!! We're in a crowded townhouse and this would be perfect.

That Lee stand was definitely my inspiration for the project, it just seemed a bit spendy for what it is.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Good call on the Harbor Freight stand. I like it. I also have limited space and no dedicated room or bench for reloading. I do have a garage, though. Not quite as small as yours, but I rock it like this with my new press:

14009482063_89a5844c8a_c.jpg

I keep the scale, calipers, primer tubes and other whatnots in the drawers when I'm not using it. The wheels are convenient for getting it out of the way to do other things in the garage. I may decide I want a more stable platform, though. Two of the wheels have locks, but its still a little shaky when I get going quickly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom