• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    Just started reloading this winter. Question, when tumbling pistol brass---do you remove the old primers first????
    You can use a "universal depriming die" which doesn't touch the brass to remove the old primers before tumbling and your primer pockets will be cleaner but you will have to dig tumbling media out of most of those pockets. Or you can tumble first, remove the primers and then clean the pockets with a small wire brush made for this purpose. A third option, which I think most of us use, is to de-prime re-prime and not worry about having pristine primer pockets (except for premium performance loads). You will have to decide what is most important for your type of shooting.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Just as T/C Guy recommended. A universal depriming die is nice to have around.... also for another reason. If you are saving brass (range pickup, for resale, etc.) in a caliber that you do not reload (or never intend to), you can deprime, and tumble/clean the cases as needed. It could net a few more dollars, or you just may get around to using them in the future.

Cheers.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    A third option, which I think most of us use, is to de-prime re-prime and not worry about having pristine primer pockets (except for premium performance loads). You will have to decide what is most important for your type of shooting.

^^ This is what I do ^^ Tumble, De-prime, prime, load , repeat

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    With corn cob / walnut media tumbling, I leave the primers in place. When I use the ultrasonic cleaner, I remove the primers first. If I had wet tubled with stainles steel pins, I would remove the primes first.

i think I'm convinced that a clean primer pocket would only benefit from precision reloading. That is what I use the ultrasonic cleaner for. I'm going to upgrade the Lee turret press to a Dillon 650 and will probably tumble, lube, and then drop the cases into the case feeder and run them through the progressive.

i'll keep the Lee single stage press for mu precision reloading. When I say precision, I'm referring to my F-class rifle where I shoot at 1K yards.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I do it both ways. Sometimes de-prime with a universal de-prime die and then tumble in a vibratory with walnut media. If any media sticks in the primer hole it will come out when you size the case.

I also do sometimes throw them in the vibratory cleaner and deprime after. I do clean the primer pockets by hand if I do this.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    First time I tumbled brass, I deprimed first. Saw that most don't do that and after digging walnut shells out of the primer pockets I've started depriming after cleaning.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Curiosity made me try an experiment once. I had a dozen .223 cases I did a light tumble on in ground corn cob, to remove resizing lube from the case and inside the case mouth. After I removed them from the tumbler, they all had a kernel of media stuck in the flask hole. I left it and marked the cases, and went ahead and reloaded them. All 12 went bang.

It stands to reason if the pressure from a primer alone can stick a bullet in the barrel, it can just as well blow out a piece of polishing media from an .080 dia. flash hole. I'm not suggesting that anyone knowingly leave media in their flash holes. But if a few get passed your eye, it's nothing to lose any sleep over. Anything I tumble in corn cob goes through a decapping die before a new primer is seated. That way I'm guaranteed every flash hole is clear.

Top Bottom