• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I am thinking i Need a dedicated press so I can deprime my brass outside, where my son isn't crawling around eating everything.
    My question will I ever regret buying a cheap "C" style press for $30ish over a cheap "O" style for $75ish.
    I may eventually re-purpose or find another task for it like cast bullet sizing or re-sizing pistol brass for storage.
    Any opinions from experience? Looking at LEE press's mostly due to cost.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We've got 3 RCBS single stage presses set up and we do a lot on them instead of setting up the Dillions.
    De-priming, loading new powders/bullets for load development, 30-06, or if we only have a few hundred cases where it doesn't make sense to change over one of the dillions.
    Never had a Lee "O" press but a buddy of mine does, seems to do a good job.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For strictly depriming cases, you don't really need the strength of an O-frame press, the C-frame will work fine.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    For strictly depriming cases, you don't really need the strength of an O-frame press, the C-frame will work fine.

I agree. I use the cheapest Lee single stage you can get ($25+). Mounted it on a wood box of my design that captures primers. Set it in a disposable aluminum baking pan for occasional flyers.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I have a Lee single stage press that comes in handy at times. Its a lot easier and faster to pop a different shell holder and die in if I want to process just a few cases.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I use an RCBS Rockchucker IV for depriming mixed brass before sorting and wet tumbling.

I have a multi-caliber, self-adjusting shell holder from Quinetics installed on the press. It isn't perfect but it holds the brass well enough for depriming.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I did the same thing with the cheap Lee C-press. Only had it set up a couple of weeks. It works great for 9mm & .223, haven't tried to use it on anything else.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    C press would work just fine, but the O press would give you more flexibility if you want to use it for anything else. I have an O style that I use as a dedicated press for resizing 223, but I could "convert" it to a dedicated depriming press in under a minute.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Thanks for the advice. Gonna look into that multi caliber shellholder
    Is that Harvey deprimer quick? It looks quite a bit more movement involved than just press depriming.

Last edited:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    The Lee Breech Lock Single Stage is nice. It's handy for small batch stuff. Once you set up the dies you can swap them out without setting the dies up again. I run a Dillon 650 with a Lee BL next to it and a Lee Turret next to that. Takes care of all my needs from precision stuff to small batch stuff to major run stuff. The turret is mounted on a piece of plywood that has the same bolt pattern as the Grabber shotshell press. It allows me to switch over quickly to shotshells instead of adding more bench. It pretty much collects dust now as I no longer load shotshells.

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    As said above, it don't take much to just deprime.
    Get whatever you can find cheapest.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also deprime my brass with a single stage press, "O" frame from Lee. I shoot a lot of 45acp in a revolver and prefer a roll crimp for thoe rounds. The "O" frame is easy to screw in the Lee deprimer die or a 45acp roll crimp die, I also use this press for a couple low volume rifle rounds. Jim.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have three RCBS single stages presses and use all three at the same time. I just do not like changing out dies and used presses can be found cheap.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I too de-prime the Lee. O-frame single stage press. I use it for precision reloading as well. I use a Lee turret for all others.

if it is going to go in the garage, rust may be an issue. If your only de-priming, go for the lee C press with a universal decapping die. Should be able to do,that for cheap.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Ive been keeping my eyes out for a cheap used press also, just seem to get beat to the deal every time. Press would be set out in a garage or possibly even a little metal tractor shed, any idea's on how to keep rust to a minimum? Frog Lube maybe?

Top Bottom