• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madgenius85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2014
    terre haute
    Ok guys im finally getting powder. Im getting imr sr4756 tomorrow. Its the only thing i can get in town and its an 8lb jug. Im just wanting your opinion on it from experiences. Im loading 9mm. Thanks.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive got a pound that i havent opened yet.(going to try it in some "hot" 45's) ...Just be careful...there is NOT a lot of data for it.

But I have heard from several "old-timers" that its a good performer for "stout" loads....burns better at higher pressures and is great in 45acp, 38spl, and mild/med .357mag.

Supposed to be similar to unique....check your reloading manual for the specifics.

Unless you are getting a KILLER deal on the 8lb jug...I might pass on it for now. ...think about it....there are 7000 grains in one single pound of powder....at an average of 6 grains per cartridge...you get well over 1000 rounds out of a single pound of powder....that will last a long time for a new reloader.

Id hold out for some W231/power pistol/red dot/titegroup/unique/etc or somthing more "proven".

God bless
    -Shred

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Ok guys im finally getting powder. Im getting imr sr4756 tomorrow. Its the only thing i can get in town and its an 8lb jug. Im just wanting your opinion on it from experiences. Im loading 9mm. Thanks.

4756 is a slower powder, therefore you can load hotter rounds.
    Burn Rate
    I haven't tried it in 9mm but with 45 acp I've pushed my 200 lswc well over 1000 fps.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have used it with:
    Hornady XTP 200 GN in .45 ACP.
    Montana Gold CMJ 147 and 124 GN in 9mm.

It is listed in the following manuals for 9mm:
    Lyman 49th
    Speer #14
    Hornady 9th

Check and cross-check your recipe, start at the low end of the range and work your way up. My loads for 147 grain were too light for 124 grain but I increased the powder weight in small increments until I had something that worked well in my handgun. I haven't seen any lately though.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Brother in law is also new to reloading and that was the only powder he could find.
    Don't recall the load off the top of my head, but it seemed to work well enough in his 9mm.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One thing the powder shortage has done is make us experiment with lesser known powders. Some of those old powder types have been out of favor for so long, I don't know why they are still available. The funny thing is that many of the old loads still perform pretty well.

I had tried to simplify and 90% of my reloading was Titegroup in handguns and shotguns and Varget in Rifles. Even at that, I still really needed AA #9 for magnum handguns 2400 for .410 shotshells. I also wanted the 4831SC for magnum velocity rifle wildcats. And then 8208 came out. Since the shelves are really picked over, I have been buying whatever is close. "Simplifying" did not last very long.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    They've discontinued SR 4756 (or they're about to do so), and it has some real fans. Me, included. If you've ever messed with the old Speer #8 "Fire and Brimstone" manual, you'll know what I mean. We had quite the discussion over on the big blue S&W Forum about THE LOAD, the Speer #8's lowest-level .38 Special loading with 4756 and 158-gr LSWCS. Considerably over present-day SAAMI specs, but really something out of a .357-spec'd gun (it's my Bear Canyon carry load in my 3" SP-101, delivering 1215 fps with minimal spreads and pinpoint accuracy - and easy ejection of the short .38 cases).

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    They've discontinued SR 4756 (or they're about to do so), and it has some real fans. Me, included. If you've ever messed with the old Speer #8 "Fire and Brimstone" manual, you'll know what I mean. We had quite the discussion over on the big blue S&W Forum about THE LOAD, the Speer #8's lowest-level .38 Special loading with 4756 and 158-gr LSWCS. Considerably over present-day SAAMI specs, but really something out of a .357-spec'd gun (it's my Bear Canyon carry load in my 3" SP-101, delivering 1215 fps with minimal spreads and pinpoint accuracy - and easy ejection of the short .38 cases).

Do you have a source for this info?...The discontinuing of this powder?

God bless
    -Shred

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I remember reading something about SR 4756 being discontinued...probably on Shooters Forum. The challenge of finding ANY components right now is causing us to be creative, but it's also leading to situations where we are coming up with load recipes that we may not be able to repeat in coming years. One of the big reasons I like reloading is that, in "normal" times, once you find a load that works well you could always find plenty of those components to stock up on and be set for many years. Right now, that's not necessarily the case. :-/

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Hi Shred,

Forwarded email to acquaintance from Chris Hodgdon (could have been faked, but why on earth would anyone bother?) - PB, 7625 and 4759 were also mentioned as being on the chopping block.

If I'm thinking right PB is one of their newer powders. Haven't even had a chance to try some.

Top Bottom