• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Today was AK day at the range, I bought 7 boxes of Tula because it was on sale. Iv fired many a Tula before but not like today. Every box came out of the same new case as I watched them from case to counter, how ever, each 20rd box was very different. The powder charge was ranging from failure to cycle the bolt to what I would consider to be a hot round. At one point I field stripped my rifle because I would have sworn I had a squib, I didn't but that's how bad this ammo was today, I changed mags and the next round gave me a 30cal thump and a brilliant fireball. I bought a few more for a rainy day but I'm not to sure I want to run it. Maybe it's just a bad batch or case but if your shooting Tula pay attention.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Ive had this same problem recently with the 223 tula. All over the place , sometimes a bigger "bump" and others won't even cycle the bolt and feel like a 22lr/17hmr round. I wonder if the ammo crunch if making some ammo churn out sub-par.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I don't shoot either of the above calibers but Tula 9mm has always worked well for me. Now there will be "hot" rounds here and there and of course there is the obligitory sparks and fire down range round or 3 in every box of 50. This is the steel cased. I have head of but never seen 9mm brassmax......the .40 is everywhere but I digress

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't shoot either of the above calibers but Tula 9mm has always worked well for me. Now there will be "hot" rounds here and there and of course there is the obligitory sparks and fire down range round or 3 in every box of 50. This is the steel cased. I have head of but never seen 9mm brassmax......the .40 is everywhere but I digress

My local WalMart actually had the 100 count round tubes of Brassmax a couple months ago and my buddy and I both picked one up each. I was very impressed. Seemed just as good or better than the WWB and Federal Champion ammo I've been getting at WalMart and it was cheaper than either of those. Don't quote me, but I'm thinking it was under $24 for 100 rounds. If I ever see it in stock again I'll certainly pick more up.

I don't pick up the steel case Tula for my handguns very often as I have a couple buddies who reload and I try to save my brass for them. I get Wolf Polyformance, which I've heard is made in the same factory, for my AR-15 and have had great luck with it so far. I have 100 rounds of Tula that I haven't tried yet. Might have to do that soon to see what I think.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have Herter's ammo I bought for my SKS(x39 ammo) a few years ago. I've fired over a 1000 rounds of Brown Bear through my gun. I bought 250 rounds of Herters which is made by Tulammo. I have now had 2 rounds that the primer popped but the bullet lodged itself just inside the rifling. I won't be buying any more of it. I assume this is all from the same batch as I bought it at the same time...but regardless, I'll stick with other brands. Gotta keep your eye on the steel stuff.

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Many moons ago I bought a case of Tula from CTD when I still respected them (that's how long ago that was) and had no issue at all. I think I'll be sticking to WOLF and the newish Red Army ammo for the near future.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Last batch of Tula 7.62x39 I fired a few months ago seemed to have the same charge but I had about 10 hang fires out of 200 rds fired. Basically about a 1/2 seconds delay after pulling the trigger. That's the last of the Tula I'm going to buy.

Top Bottom