• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I picked up a press in a trade deal over the weekend. I really didn't know much about it and considered it to probably just be something to throw in the scrap pile. Amazingly it still moved when you pulled the handle though, so I started looking into it.

I found out it was a Pacific press, and the Super Deluxe model. (I found out after I cleaned off most the nasty junk on it ;) ). Once I looked around on the net and found out it was pretty much the grandfather of the modern presses we use today, and that they were build like tanks to last a lifetime, I decided it was probably worth a better look.

After disassembly I found out that the ram was in decent shape, and more than usable. It really polished up pretty well. A trip through the sandblaster, some scrubbing, cleaning, and more cleaning, and then a paint job later, it actually looks and runs awesome! It takes all the standard dies, and shell holders. Should make a nice setup for something in the future.

Before:

pacific1.JPG

After:

pacific2.jpg

pacific3.jpg

and to think I was going to junk it!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nice job! Hard to beat cast iron and steel for longivity. You are lucky to have the primer arm. Things like that are generally hard to replace.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thanks! I'm not exactly sure what condition the primer arm is in. If the little cup on the end is supposed to move, which I assume with a spring under it that it should. If it should move, its locked up solid.

From what I can find, and RCBS universal arm should fit it, but then Im still missing quite a few other items I believe.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Pacific was bought out by Hornaday. Many of the parts carry over to their current products. I have 2 old Pacific shot shell presses, one single stage and the other a progressive. Found that many current parts will fit. Many of the old manuals are available on-line.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Pacific was bought out by Hornaday. Many of the parts carry over to their current products. I have 2 old Pacific shot shell presses, one single stage and the other a progressive. Found that many current parts will fit. Many of the old manuals are available on-line.

"Hornaday"?? Did you get type happy? Or is there a company called Hornaday?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Something like that would be worth keeping around to use with a universal decapping die. Quite a diamond in the rough you have there.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    jbrooks19: sorry for the incorrect spelling of the name. I was following this while working and was not paying close attention to what I was doing. Some of us aren't perfect yet although I've been working on it for so many years that I have a son older than you by over a decade. Glad you achieved perfection so quickly.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Something like that would be worth keeping around to use with a universal decapping die. Quite a diamond in the rough you have there.

Yeah thats what I was planning to do with it. Or maybe a traveling range loader to work up loads on the go.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Looks great! Glad you wee able o save it. I have an old Lyman that I used for quite a few years before I upgraded to an RCBS turret press. Just goes to show, that quality tools will last multiple lifetimes, even when abused!

Plus, it looks like you painted it Ford Engine Blue, so I'm sure it'll run great and give you no troubles now!!

Top Bottom