• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Coworker showed me this round from his carry gun the other day. He said he hasn't bought any self defense ammo in 2 years and that he was having "feeding issues." I suggested buying a new box of ammo...

20140926_075820_zpsg4wbq180.jpg

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah...I keep one magazine that's pretty much my dedicated carry mag and cycle the top round. There's no good way to say how much set back is too much, so if there's any, burn it at the range or dispose of it. I wouldn't even dream of shooting the round pictured.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah...I keep one magazine that's pretty much my dedicated carry mag and cycle the top round. There's no good way to say how much set back is too much, so if there's any, burn it at the range or dispose of it. I wouldn't even dream of shooting the round pictured.

I wouldn't think it'd be unsafe to discharge this round at a range except for the feeding issues part. Hearing that, I would err on the side of caution.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    No LOVE toward this round...

Coworker showed me this round from his carry gun the other day. He said he hasn't bought any self defense ammo in 2 years and that he was having "feeding issues." I suggested buying a new box of ammo...

20140926_075820_zpsg4wbq180.jpg

Biscuit, looks like the round in the pic. has a ROUGH life..Grind marks from the top to the bottom??

I switched out my Gold Dots to the Hornady rounds just for this reason=Setback..Bill.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Biscuit, looks like the round in the pic. has a ROUGH life..Grind marks from the top to the bottom??

I switched out my Gold Dots to the Hornady rounds just for this reason=Setback..Bill.

Yeah, I don't know what those marks are from. His carry gun is a Gen 3 Glock 19. The marks wouldn't rub off and my best guess would be the feed ramp leaving some marks from the FtF he mentioned.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I don't remember and will have to look at my rounds like this but I do not recall the red insert sticking above the actual metal bullet. Has this round been fed so many times that the metal has been knocked down around the red insert?
    (I don't know what material the red "plastic" is made from)

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't remember and will have to look at my rounds like this but I do not recall the red insert sticking above the actual metal bullet. Has this round been fed so many times that the metal has been knocked down around the red insert?
    (I don't know what material the red "plastic" is made from)
    I carry Critical Defense in my Shield 9 and the rubber insert does stick out just a little bit. That part of the bullet looks normal to me when comparing it to a round straight from a new box.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Well, yes they do stick up a little. The size of the bullet picture is so large i guess it exaggerates things. Still that round does not look right.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    just looks like it has been loaded way to many times........i don't think there is any trouble with his gun.........round has just been cycled to many times.....:twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Question:

WHY has he cycled that round so many times? Does he unload his gun every night or what? And if he does do that - tell him to quit it. His hands/fingers/eyes will thank him should he ever have to use that gun/ammo.

-J-

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    a few light taps with a bullet puller should get it back up, then measure it compared to some of the other bullets and re-crimp it.
    after that, use it to blow up milk jug of water or a watermellon... Not sure I would use it for carry ammo again.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    This problem isn't unique to just Critical defense. I have had this happen with hydroshock and others of that sort. It happens when the round isn't crimped very strong and gets cycled repeatedly. For me, I rarely shoot my personal defense ammunition at the range. So when I want to shoot, I have to rack that round out.

Top Bottom