• ...and so much more!
  • Marksman2019

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Northern IN
    Howdy :ingo:

For the past year or so I've been pondering the idea of getting into reloading. Luckily, I landed a well paying job the summer prior to starting college and due to solid financial habits I have saved up enough to pay for school with a hefty amount left over.

So, would it be wise to buy a 550 (which I may eventually wish to replace with the 650) or invest in the 650 now and avoid having to replace the 550 in the future?

One last point. If you do not think it would be a wise decision to venture into reloading, please say so! I'm not looking for validation, but for insight from those of you who have already made the leap into reloading.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Having had a 550 and now a 650, I would say start with the 550.
    It manually indexes and gives you a little more hands on control with the process.
    Once you get good with the 550 it can churn out a good amount of ammo, plus they make a case feeder for the 550 now and that will speed up the process quite a bit.

Get the 550

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I went with the 550 long ago and have never found myself regretting that decision.

The 650 does very few things that the 550 cannot, the 650 costs more, and the 650 auto indexes(a negative in my opinion).

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I went with the 550 long ago and have never found myself regretting that decision.

The 650 does very few things that the 550 cannot, the 650 costs more, and the 650 auto indexes(a negative in my opinion).

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

Not long ago for me, only a year into reloading, & have yet to wish I'd went with 650. I like manual indexing, I can feel if primer isn't seated flush, I ALWAYS look for powder during the index, & have become pretty quick at reloading.

I rarely do more than 50 @ a time, but ran thru 6sets of 50 on Saturday, another 6 on Sunday, I love my 550B.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If you want to sit down I'd get the 650 and automatic powder check (can't do this with a 550). I assume this works well but have not used it.

I stand while reloading, this allows me to look at the powder charge in every case in two different stations (i.e. right after it drops and as I put the bullet in). So far I caught one double charge due to a bolt working loose on the charge assembly and it has been just an extra safety thing on somewhat intentional double charges related to press adjustment or working through issues. I've also had a couple or three rounds where there was cleaning media stuck in a glob & filling enough of the case to be scary.

I figure with the 550 & 9's or 40 or 45's I'm good for about 300 rounds per hour for what it is worth. This is sort of an average that allows time for primer tube filling & occasional cleaning & etc. I am probably closer to 400 when everything is rocking along perfectly.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    No one has stated the Glaring obvious, are you loading pistol only or pistol and rifle and if Rifle larger than 223?

If your doing only pistol or pistol and 223 then the 650 is the best choice,

If your going to be doing larger than 223 rifle then you have to go with the 550.

there is no way I could keep up with my pistol shooting without the 650, and I'm sorry I didn't buy one the day the were on the market. That being said I'm a bit farther along in my loading career and I have both on the bench for the different reasons. So maybe plan things out and buy one with the second one coming in the future.

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    650 all the way. The auto index is not a negative in my opinion. It actually keeps you from double charging a case!
    It is a little bit more to learn initially, but if you are not a moron, and have a moderate mechanical aptitude, then you are good to go. I don't really "enjoy" reloading. But I do enjoy having ammo that works the best for my guns, is cheaper, and there when I want it. I shoot competition, so it is a no brainer. But for the average person, it would allow you to shoot more due to the cost savings alone. Don't let people scare you about the 650....I started on it and have had no issues at all.
    Be safe and have fun!

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I bought the XL650 as my first press and have mixed reviews after reloading thousands of rounds. There IS a learning curve in the initial setup and getting things so that they flow smoothly and reliably. I found it very frustrating when I would load about 100 rounds and something would jam up the works. I had no one to guide me, so much of the problem was just not having a mentor of any kind. Now that I have more of a clue what I'm doing, I can consistently put out several hundred rounds at a sitting. The machine will indeed crank out around 1200 rounds/hour, but my arm won't. Plus, I have to take breaks to load the primer tubes and the case feeder. That said, it's worth it considering how many rounds I go through each month.

If I had it to do over, I would start with the 550. That's just my take on it. It's not as automated, but you'll learn the art and science of reloading much faster than constantly dealing with hiccups until you get the 650 humming.

Marksman2019

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Northern IN
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Since I'll be loading .223, .308, and .300 Win. Mag. along with 9mm and .45 acp I'm quite sure that I will be going with the 550. Mainly because I have heard that it is a bit easier to change calibers. Also, since I am fairly new I consider the manual indexing to be a good feature.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    650 all the way. The auto index is not a negative in my opinion. It actually keeps you from double charging a case!

regardless of the press, look in the case before you put the bullet on top in the seating station and verify the powder level looks right, then pull the handle. relying on auto indexing or powder check stations is like relying on a mechanical safety on your gun.

as for 550 v 650, it really comes down to the amount of ammo you load and # of calibers. Back When I was loading 20-25k/yr on my 550 I really wanted a 650. Now that I'm shooting 5-6k/yr I have no desire to upgrade.

-rvb

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If you want to sit down I'd get the 650 and automatic powder check (can't do this with a 550). I assume this works well but have not used it.

I stand while reloading, this allows me to look at the powder charge in every case in two different stations

You need to get a tall stool. I can sit or stand either one, and my head stays in exactly the same position.

But I just use a Lyman turret press, so I don't really belong in this thread. :patriot:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I bought the XL650 .... The machine will indeed crank out around 1200 rounds/hour, but my arm won't. Plus, I have to take breaks to load the primer tubes and the case feeder. That said, it's worth it considering how many rounds I go through each month.

Dillon website says 800 rounds per hour for the 650 (if you buy the optional case feeder) and 500 for the 550. They don't give a number for the 550 with the case feeder option added though.
    I think both numbers are best case / ideal conditions / in a hurry to get er dun numbers.

You need to get a tall stool. I can sit or stand either one, and my head stays in exactly the same position.

Not sure I could do the rhythm body rock thing on a stool :). Could make for an embarrassing reloading injury on a tall one.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    For me it's not about speed that a lot of people brag about. I comfortably do 300 to 350 and hour on my 550B. This gives me reassurance that all the rounds are quality. Basically I concentrate on a full handle throw and watch the powder level before placing a bullet to be seated. I feel like if I go any faster I may miss something and that's not an option no matter what.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Since I'll be loading .223, .308, and .300 Win. Mag. along with 9mm and .45 acp I'm quite sure that I will be going with the 550. Mainly because I have heard that it is a bit easier to change calibers. Also, since I am fairly new I consider the manual indexing to be a good feature.

If you are new to reloading, don't try to reload for all those calibers right away.
    Pick one like 9mm or 45acp and learn the ropes with it, then move on to another caliber.

Reloading for rifle is a lot more work with case prepping and such so I would not recommend starting with rifle.
    If you try learning all those calibers at once your brain will explode.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Dillon website says ... 500 for the 550. ... I think both numbers are best case / ideal conditions / in a hurry to get er dun numbers.

I regularly load 500 rounds in 45-50 minutes on my 550 when loading pistol, and that's not a hurried pace. that usually includes a couple of stopages (things like the primer pulled back into the pocket, etc), looking at the powder level in each case, etc.

My pace is about 1/2 that w/ rifle as I go slower on the down stroke to give the powder more time through the funnel and the bullets are smaller and harder to seat right since there's no bell....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ok, thanks, apparently this is yet another endeavor that I am very slow at.

Stupid website.

:):
    It's all about keeping both hands busy at the same time while also kinda of being aware of everything that's going on on the press. efficient, but not rushed.

While the RH is pulling the handle, the LH is picking up a new bullet. While the LH is indexing, the RH is picking up a new case.
    put the case in while looking for powder, set the bullet, and start over....

I've got a bit of practice.... probably approaching 150k rounds. vast majority was 9mm and .38super.

w/ the 650 you avoid the time it takes to index and pick up a case, and that's why it's faster. Everyime I think about adding a 650 I decide I'd rather spend the $ on components and make more ammo...

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom