Remember when the ammo boxes looked lilke this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I was visiting my father recently and asked him if he had some .38 Special and .357 Magnum he might sell to me.

After exploring the deeper recesses of his ammo cabinet, he came up with this:

153qy9t.jpg

I believe this style of box is from the late 60s.

Remember, ammunition is an investment. There's no such thing as too much! :)

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    That's great, the boxes are in pretty good shape for being that old.

My Dad bought a new rifle to deer hunt with this past season, when he came down to my place to sight it in, he had a canvas sack full of loose, mixed, 44 mag, also probably from the 60's. It was fun sifting through it to find what appeared to be matching rounds, :):

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have some old boxes of 22lr and 22 short from my grandpa sitting on my desk at work. If I rememeber, they were 60's era. I will have to post a picture when I get back to the office.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Be careful. I had some 35 remington in similar box fail on me this year.

Bad picture but if you look close enough there is a crack that runs lengthwise that showed up after being shot.

here is the box

Hopefully your stuff shoots great!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Yes I remember those type Rem boxes but from just before I was old enough to buy ammo. I think 60s-early 70s maybe.
    Below would be their contemporary from WW.

images

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Be careful. I had some 35 remington in similar box fail on me this year.

Bad picture but if you look close enough there is a crack that runs lengthwise that showed up after being shot.

Always be careful with old ammo and inspect every round carefully. Of course you all know that. ;)

I received 1000 rounds of surplus ammo for my Mauser (actually it came with the rifle). I had to destroy over 100 of them due to cracked or damaged casings.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was visiting my father recently and asked him if he had some .38 Special and .357 Magnum he might sell to me.

153qy9t.jpg

Dave, If you don't want the boxes when you're done emptying them, I'll take them off your hands.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis

153qy9t.jpg

Actually early 1960s. That child warning label on the top box came into being in 1962. I don't see it on the bottom box, so that box was made before 1962.

bdwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Noblesville
    Yes I remember those type Rem boxes but from just before I was old enough to buy ammo. I think 60s-early 70s maybe.
    Below would be their contemporary from WW.

images

Those boxes you posted brought back a great memory from my childhood. I always loved looking in my grandpa's closet where he kept his guns/ammo. He had several of those yellow and red boxes. If I remember right, they had a small plastic container inside that held the ammo. Thanks for sparking that memory, kalboy!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom