• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, I do not have all the details at this point, nor do I know if I could share them if so, but...

A friend and former co-worker of mine is presently off work due to an incident in his reloading room. It seems he was reloading for his shotgun and a shell discharged. The concussion (thank God, no shrapnel!) caused an injury serious enough to put him out of work for a period of time, duration unknown. (weeks, at this point)

The details of the incident are not important. Please, reloaders, wear your safety glasses and do not allow yourself to become complacent.

I don't know if the complacency is a factor here, but I don't want anything like this to happen to anyone else. Please don't underestimate the materials with which you work.

The man involved in this was one of the first to take me out to a place I could shoot when I was developing my interest in doing so.

If you are someone who prays, I'm sure those would be appreciated. I know I would appreciate them for him.

Blessings,
    Bill

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've heard loading shot-shells is a lot touchier than metallic cartridge reloading.
    Can anyone verify/qualify this?

Sorry to hear about your friend.
    Hope all goes well with him.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am very big on safety glasses.

I've taken a blob of solder and 2 drill bits to the glass.
    Here is the blob of solder that spattered.
    37408_130366267001888_5960171_n.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a dedicated set of safety glasses with built in readers on the loading table. No loading without them, period.
    I've felt the splash of powder and primer shrapnel to the face more than once.

Best wishes to your friend for a full and speedy recovery, BOR.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Shotgun Primers all by themselves can be very impressive. So is the primer in a 5inch 38 naval shell. I found out both facts the hard way.

I hope your friend heals soon and learns to trust in the feel of the lever when seating the primer.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Update:
    We are almost six months since I posted this.

My friend is still off work. Just bumping this thread as a reminder to all:

Please be safe.... Never, ever reload without your safety glasses.

Blessings,
    Bill

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the reminder, and add another prayer.
    Yes, 209 primers are considerably more powerful than any primer for metallic cartridges, with the possible exception of those intended for .50 BMG.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Have you found out more about how this could have happened?

I've only loaded brass for pistol so far, but I do have my shot shell reloading equipment. I just need to get it set up and going. I would like to know if this really is more likely with shot shell reloading and the best way to prevent such a discharge.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't have his phone number and from what I understand, whoever is answering is not giving out much info at all. I heard about this from mutual former coworkers, so no, I don't have details.

The best thing I can suggest is to talk to those here who do it. Maybe have a screen that you reach around to do the loading itself, I don't know. I do know safety glasses obviously protect your eyes, and just about everything else heals, eventually.

Sorry I don't have more to help people. :(

Blessings,
    Bill

Have you found out more about how this could have happened?

I've only loaded brass for pistol so far, but I do have my shot shell reloading equipment. I just need to get it set up and going. I would like to know if this really is more likely with shot shell reloading and the best way to prevent such a discharge.

Top Bottom