Liberty Ammo Civil Defense...all hype or worth the money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I was at my LGS the other day and one of the guys recommended the "Civil Defense" by Liberty Ammo. Apparently it's a lead free deep cup hollow point that travels 2000 fps and the cup fragments in a 5" "starburst" pattern leaving the bullet base to penetrate 12". Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2013-11-14-at-8.40.15-AM.png
      Screen-Shot-2013-11-14-at-8.40.15-AM.png
      49.1 KB · Views: 23

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds like a variant of the now debunked G2R RIP ammo. That too had bits that came off the main body for additional wound channels but independent ballistics tests pretty much destroyed their claims.

Save your money. Just more hype.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The difference between Liberty and the G2 is the Library is going a LOT faster. The civil defense round is supposed to mimic a 5.56 generally speaking. A light weight bullet going really fast. The RIP ammo used a bullet design to it's (supposedly) advantage.

I wouldn't count out the Civil Defense round.

Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    From the ballistics tests that I've seen the liberty ammo is pretty impressive.. Especially when it comes to defeating body armor, it easily passes through a level IIIA soft plate out of both a 4 and 7.5 in barrel, I believe the ballistics test was done on the Military Arms Channel on youtube. Out of a carbine length firearm I believe their 9mm is touching on 2500 fps. Which while 9mm and 5.56 have dramatically different sectional densities, the bullet weight and velocity are similar out of the same length barrel, approximately 7.5 inches. The liberty ammunition has a place, I'm just not sure what place that is.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've shot the 380, 9mm, and 223 Civil Defense, point of impact was very consistent and the casings piled in a very tight pile. A friend has tried the 45acp and it shot great for him.

Overall, I'd trust the ammo

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In a handgun, you want your bullet to remain together.

Shedding five pieces to let an even lighter "bullet" base to "penetrate" 12" is - sub par.

If these things worked, don't you think that law enforcement agencies would be all over them? Especially Federal law enforcement and their "unlimited" budgets? There's good reason that law enforcement agencies don't utilize ammunition such as this.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll pass. I'm not Beta testing the latest greatest gimmick ammo with my butt on the line. I'm not interested in anything designed to burst apart in a shallow area of the body and essentially leave ball ammo to try and get to the points that matter.

In a very small sample size, I have not been impressed with these super high speed pistol bullets. They make messy but shallow wounds, have trouble breaking bone, and seem unreliable compared to quality bonded HP designs.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If these things worked, don't you think that law enforcement agencies would be all over them? Especially Federal law enforcement and their "unlimited" budgets? There's good reason that law enforcement agencies don't utilize ammunition such as this.

Someone who worked for Civil Defense told me that Pennsylvania highway patrol switched to their ammo because the weight of a loaded magazine was so much less and it penetrated well, and that they were making/designing ammo for the government for the past 10 years or so doing rifle munitions.

That's just what he said though, can't find any articles proving or disproving it

This is about the only thing I can find that shows Liberty and the gov had any dealings

Liberty Ammunition wins $15.6M in patent theft case against Defense Department - Washington Times

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Well..I just watched this stuff tear right through L3 body armor...I'm not fond of the petals breaking off, but that's a ton of energy transfer out of a light bullet.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    In regards to innovative ammo design, Lehigh Defense bullets have my attention based on MAC's videos of ballistic gel tests.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have some in 40 S&W it shoots great and seems to be very accurate ammo. What I was able to find online was it was good ammo. It cost about the same as the other personal defense rounds out there the big advantage is it does weight a lot less than standard ammo. I carry it in my spare mag just for the weight savings. Take this for what it's worth just an opinion but seem to be reliable and accurate.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I've fired some of the 357 magnum and 9mm stuff and it has run good out of my Beretta 92fs and assorted revolvers. Consistent feel and report with tight groups. I also have seen it used on a pretty large wood chuck and the thing stopped dead in it's tracks. Bullet stayed in the target and it didn't move from where it was shot.

I'm looking for more of this stuff to use in my little LCR as it isn't punishing to fire in such a light weight carry gun.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member