• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've been going through some of my dad's OLD OLD OLD ammo and need to dispose of some aspects of it.
    I'm wanting to save the brass in some odd calibers.
    My thoughts are to pull the old nasty bullets, dump and burn off the old powder, discharge and remove the primers. After that I thought I might tumble the brass to get ready to reload.
    What do I need to safely perform these tasks?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The hammers work but IMO suck-and that's putting it lightly.
    I use one of these. http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Bullet-Puller-without-Collet/dp/B000N8N1YQ
    You have to buy the collets separate FYI. Here are some to choose from. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ing&field-keywords=RCBS bullet puller collets
    If he has any quantity of ammo, don't even think of using the hammer method. They are fine for 20 rounds or so, but any more and you will be beating yourself in the head with it for not buying the die version.
    FWIW, Hornaday makes one called the cam lock but I have no experience with it. Amazon.com : Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If you're not gonna re-use the bullets, you can grip the bullet with pliers and wiggle the case back and forth a bit to loosen it, then the kinetic puller will pop it out easier.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've never disposed of ammo that is extremely old. Some of this stuff is just plain nasty. The boxes have deteriorated to near powder when you pick them up. Some has been wet from being stored in a leaky old barn after he died.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'm a fan of the collet system for removing bullets, but the downside is that you have to have size-specific collets. For small numbers of rounds, it may be cost prohibitive.

The advantages are that the bullets are only minimally damaged and it's faster than the kinetic pullers.

The powder can be spread thinly on the yard. The nitrogen compounds act as fertilizer.

I've heard of folks spraying old primers with WD-40 to inactivate them but have not had the need to do that myself.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm a fan of the collet system for removing bullets, but the downside is that you have to have size-specific collets. For small numbers of rounds, it may be cost prohibitive.

The advantages are that the bullets are only minimally damaged and it's faster than the kinetic pullers.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

OP, If you are planning to reload them then you should probably get a puller/collet for that caliber anyway. So the purchase may not be a bad idea anyway and a puller works so much better that those damn hammers.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If you have a single stage press or a progressive that you can use as a single stage you can put the loaded rounds in a shell holder and run them up threw the top of the press and grap them with pliers or wire cutters and then lower the ram. You will ruin the bullets in that process. If you want to save the bullets and not spend much cash get yourself a impact puller.

Frankford Arsenal 836-017 Sudden Impact Bullet Puller 661120446422

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I ordered a Hornady "Genetic" puller a few minutes ago. I figured since INGO recommended an "Evolved" one I can't go wrong.
    I can pull a lot with vice grips and channel locks. Luckily dad had a lot of loaders and stuff so I can use some of them as holders.
    I should have some good brass and some bullets for reloading.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I can't recall the details, but I read somewhere recently that you should NOT use a kenetic (hammer style) puller on certain mil-surp ammo.
    Can someone help with that?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Because of the tar sealant and an heavy crimp with most military rifle rounds.
    You can still pull them you just gotta wacka wacka longer and harder.

Wack..wack.... WAckkkk......wack.....WaCk......WACK....
    dam......Wack..wack.... WAckkkk......wack.....WaCk......WACK.... Finally..

Top Bottom