• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    How many of you guys reload reload nickel? I seen a bag of 500 38 special cases for less than $30. What kind of life will I get out of a case versus brass. What's the pros, if any, and the cons of reloading nickel cases? Thanks INGO.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I don't have much for you here on this one but....I have loaded a few nickel as well as some aluminum just to see. (One reload on both a set of nickel and aluminum.) (.380 and 9's here). I did not have a problem but would not want to count on reloading the aluminum more than twice. I don't know how many times nickel will hold up.
    If the two come home with me, I prep 'em and set them back. I've always thought about the aluminum as for those times I might want to shoot somewhere where I don't want to pick up or can't.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I use Nickel cases to make it easier to sort similar cases.
    .357 Mag vs .38 Special and the like.
    Some of my brass if probably better than 15 years old with no problems.

All else being equal, the Nickle cases are a bit more brittle than plan brass, and will wear out sooner.
    How much sooner depends, (as said above), on how hot you load.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    For 6 cents each how can you go wrong? Buy them and load them till they split, you'll get your money out by far.

Gonna pick them up this week. Didn't realize they were as good as they were. Never heard much good about them...thanks again.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I like the nickel cases for competition. I think the harder surface on the case gives a quicker reload.
    Probably a placebo effect. If you carry rounds in a bandolier they will resist the corrosion effect.
    Less tumbling required. Lee dies don't seem to do well with them.
    RCBS seem to work good.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I like the nickel cases for competition. I think the harder surface on the case gives a quicker reload.
    Probably a placebo effect. If you carry rounds in a bandolier they will resist the corrosion effect.
    Less tumbling required. Lee dies don't seem to do well with them.
    RCBS seem to work good.

Why don't the Lee dies care for them...whats the difference???

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I don't have much for you here on this one but....I have loaded a few nickel as well as some aluminum just to see. (One reload on both a set of nickel and aluminum.) (.380 and 9's here). I did not have a problem but would not want to count on reloading the aluminum more than twice. I don't know how many times nickel will hold up.
    If the two come home with me, I prep 'em and set them back. I've always thought about the aluminum as for those times I might want to shoot somewhere where I don't want to pick up or can't.

aluminum? How many times can they be loaded

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Buy and shoot if price is good. They seem to split sooner for me in the 357 mag. Loaded some 45 and they are still in circulation. Probably roll vs taper crimp.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Love nickle brass. Cleans easy and pretty much the same price from my supplier. I think I read somewhere that nickle starts to split sooner than brass but I've reloaded my .38s so many times I've got my money's worth out of them. The price is right so have a blast, no pun intended.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I like to load personal protection rounds in nickle brass. Easy, quick reference.
    I used to load lots of mixed .45 acp brass and the life expectancy on the nickle was slightly less. Maybe 10%. Loaded them so many times that the nickle would wear off, as mentioned.
    Buy that bag of .38 Special and enjoy.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Why don't the Lee dies care for them...whats the difference???

The lee die that I used was a carbide die and it picked up some of the nickel or some particles and scratched the nickel cases.
    No problem with RCBS dies.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    The lee die that I used was a carbide die and it picked up some of the nickel or some particles and scratched the nickel cases.
    No problem with RCBS dies.

Sized all the 38 and 357 cases I have last night. No problems with any of the nickel cases. I will be getting that 38 special cases soon, will keep me in cases for a bit. Thanks again for everything INGO.

Top Bottom