Questions on reloading 223. Newb reloader on Dillon 650 press!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    Don't beat me up on this... I just loaded my first 50 rounds of .223 about an hour ago. I have read a lot on reloading, but today was my first hands-on doing it. The .224 projectiles I bought for starting out resemble the Hornady 55gr FMJBT, but they are bulk, new, unknown manufacturer. The bullets have cannelures on them as well. I gathered my load data using the Lyman 49th Edition for the Hornady 55 gr FMJBT projectiles, cases trimmed to 1.75", BLC2 powder at 24.7-24.9 grains, and Federal 205 primers. I managed to keep the OAL right at or just under 2.60. I am using a Dillon 650 press. These rounds are strictly for shooting paper and steel targets. Nothing more. I plan to shoot these from multiple AR-15 rifles and pistols.

My questions are as follows:

1) Am I good using load data of a similar round with the same weight since I have no information on the bulk bullets? They all weighed out at 55gr and resemble the Hornady FMJBT in my manual. When I called the guy who sold the bulk bullets, he stated they could not provide load data for legal reasons so I figured I was on my own and had to improvise a bit.

2) The cannelure is above the neck and can be seen 100% at the 2.60 OAL. Is this OK, or should I reduce the OAL and seat the cannelure in the middle? I am crimping using the Dillon Die that came with the 650 setup. I haven't tried it, but I believe my OAL would be reduced to 2.21 if I seated in the middle of the cannelure. Since some bullets don't have cannelures, is it OK to just pretend it isn't there?

3) What type of pressure increases will I run into seating the bullet deeper to meet the cannelure?

I welcome all advice as I want to do this right. I got into reloading as a hobby. I don't shoot precision 300-400 yard matches - just targets 50-100 yards away. I plan to dial in precision as soon as I learn the basics. All of this is new to me and I feel like I have the setup correct on the Dillon but maybe I don't. It seems there are a lot of theories as to how these dies are set up. As crazy as it sounds, I actually enjoy prepping the cases. I would welcome a seasoned pro to double-check my work and get me going on this or at least in the right direction. Fire away!

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    First of all, welcome to INGO and the world of reloading. This is how I would handle the situation, but YMMV: 1) As long as the bullet is a similar weight and construction, you will be fine, but always use reduced starting loads and work up. 2) I would, and do, seat this bullet (or similar) at the cannelure. The cannelure will help with bullet setback when used in semiauto rifles. If a bullet doesn't have a cannelure, then start at the recommended OAL in the loading manual. In this case, with this load, you will be fine seating at the cannelure. See Hodgdon website for BL-C(2) data to confirm this. Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People 3). In this case, you should not see a pressure problem. You are on the lower end of the chart for BL-C(2).

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Again, welcome to INGO. You will find lots of great info here and many knowledgeable people.
    Been reloading on a Dillon 550 for around 22 years +/-. Having several reloading manuals is great. Sometimes you can run across, what appears to be, conflicting information. Some people will only "go by the book" as far as having EVERY component EXACTLY the same as the book. The biggest thing to remember is what gabrigger stated. Never start with a max load. That way you can watch for signs of pressure, if a certain component is not exact. Maybe you have some 52 grain bullets that you would like to load and you only have data for 55 grain, as an example.
    The great thing is with the Internet these days, load data from the manufacturers is only a few key strokes away.
    Sounds like you are on the right track and gabrigger answered your questions with sound advice.

Top Bottom