• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I got a good deal on some Rem 6 1/2 small Rifle primers.

Any reason not to load up some 223 or 300 Blk with them?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    There 6 1/2 primers are designed to use only with small cases like hornet and bee cases. Here is Remington's warning.

Warning:
    Remington does not recommend this primer for use in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington Fireball. Use the 7-1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primer in these cartridges.

This 6-1/2 Small Rifle primer is primarily designed for use in the 22 Hornet

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Wonder what the diff is? I have 1500 of them to pop off some how.

Thinking I will try them in the 300Blk

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If that's what you want to do, go ahead and do it. Kinna looks like you don't care what Remington says about only using this primer in small rifle cases..
    If you are not smart enough to heed the warnings of the manufacturer..
    Good luck.. And wear glasses.... Its only 60,000 psi.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am planning on using them in small rifle cases. Both .223 and converted 300BLK. I know some old timers that used them in 223 no problem and was wanting a second opinion from fellow INGO folks. I also know that some guys use small rifle in pistol cases. Would that be another option? Maybe mouse fart 357 loads?

If that's what you want to do, go ahead and do it. Kinna looks like you don't care what Remington says about only using this primer in small rifle cases..
    If you are not smart enough to heed the warnings of the manufacturer..
    Good luck.. And wear glasses.... Its only 60,000 psi.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    They are a soft cup and subject to slam fire in a semi-auto with free floating pin. They are also subject to blowout with higher pressure loads.

If you are talking very mild 300BLK loads then maybe so, maybe not. Slam fires are rare but do happen especially if the firing pin channel is dirty.

Will you get away with light loads? Probably. But the risk is increased. Pierced primers can eat a firing pin and bolt face through flame cutting and a slam fire can result in the gun firing when you didn't intend it to. I'd just trade them to someone who can use them for a lower pressure round if you want to stay safe. A one in ten thousand event can leave lots of people feeling pretty confident that nothing will happen. Unless that ten thousandth round is one you fire.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I use srp's in pistol brass all the time, but I work my loads up using srp's as I would work up any starting load. And yes the 30,000 psi of 357 I would use those primers. But I most certainly would not use 6 1/2 primers in 223 or blackout. With most loads you are talking about you will be running pressures around 15 to 20% over what they are designed for. They are built for the burning needs in SMALL cases like 22 hornet, 218 bee and the wildcats formed off those cases.
    If these primers worked in all small rifle cases Remington would only make one non magnum SRP. But for the small caliber, small case shooters they make two.
    Reloading is not to be taken lightly, a lot of people do and eventually it turns bad. Some learn after they puncture a primer with a 55,000 psi load and get a face full of gas and primer bits and others learn when they blow up a firearm.
    Its a easy thing to do already without adding to the mix of using the wrong components.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Did some research on pressure. Looks like it should be good for 9mil or some 357 puff loads. Maybe even 45 auto small primer brass.

I will use them for pistol stuff unless someone wants to trade me something for them.

Thanks guys

Top Bottom