• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    I got to shoot a new to me Taurus PT 145 today. I went to pick my brass after shooting and noticed dark powder marks down one side of the cases. It was new factory Hornady 185 gr xtp ammo. It felt and sounded fine when fired. Any Ideas? Was my good deal on a used pistol not so good of a deal? The case on the left in the picture is clean all the way around. The case in the center is turned around to show the other side of the cases.

062.jpg 061.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The ammo does not have enough crimp. I had the same issue when I started reloading .45 ACP. Increasing the crimp corrected the behavior. Muzzle velocity was down a little, but otherwise the ammo shot normally.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You should be fine, that load is just under 1000 fps so its not super duper velocity.. I think you're pistol might be unlocking a little early and when that happens while the case is being extracted early there is still fire in the barrel and when the ejecter hits the case and starts it heading out of the ejection port the left side of the case gets hot and black.
    You should shoot some 230 fmj through it and see what happens. There are a few things that can cause this.
    If it was my pistol I would replace the recoil spring and most likely go heavier a pound or two. JMHO

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I second the motion to first try different ammo. Make sure gun is clean and inspect chamber real good to make sure nothing is wrong. If it still does it with 230's try a new spring. I don't think springs are expensive. Wouldn't worry too much yet.

ihammond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Millhousen
    Good to know on the recoil spring. I will order a new one tonight just to so i know its gtg. I will pick up some heavier ammo this weekend and see what the gets me.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Factory ammo. Taper crimp is NOT a crimp that will "hold the bullet" to build pressure. Recoil spring is only an issue if it is opening too soon.
    Personally, the cases look like classic "load is to weak to cause the case to seal the chamber." No issue, other than cases are sooty. Try other factory ammo.
    The ISSUE is: did the gun feed and chamber and cycle the ammunition?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My HighPoint 995 does the same thing. The same ammo that kicks out clean cases with my M&P will come out looking just like those picks from my HighPoint.

I've just always thought that it was an idiosyncrasy of the HighPoint action.

Top Bottom