• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Kind of new to the reloading game (about a year and a half). It suddenly occurred to me that I may be wasting some of my time. Is it necessary to size and trim new brass?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've only checked new brass when it was used for competition or hunting. From a rounds expended ratio that's less than 1%.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Ah... the age old question, debated for millennia with, apparently, no clear answer yet forthcoming:

Does size matter? :lmfao:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I size 'em, and chamfer the case mouth.
    Then check the length. Have almost never had to trim one.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We've had new brass that needed sized. Say 5 out of 100 ct bag, the throat was as if it was already fired, to big to hold a bullet.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Kind of depends??

Kind of new to the reloading game (about a year and a half). It suddenly occurred to me that I may be wasting some of my time. Is it necessary to size and trim new brass?

What do you want to do with your loads??

Do you want to just make some noise, and run a projectile down the barrel for a "Pattern" on the target?

Or do you want to shoot 3-5 rounds into ONE hole??

For accuracy most hand loaders will tell you to Full Length size all (Fired+New) brass the first time through your rifle. After the first initial firing in YOUR rifle you can Neck Size for the next few loadings.

What you DO want to do is make every round EXACTLY the same..This is what produces One Hole groups..Bill.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I just completed a major project, loading 1000 rounds of .45 ACP, and I resized each of the brand new Starline cases.
    It ensures proper chambering, consistent neck tension, and reliable extraction and ejection.
    I can say there was resistance with each case as I sized it, a telltale sign that they needed it.
    For clarification with the other fellow who mentioned only needing to full length resize, what he said about only needing to resize for the first firing and not thereafter applies strictly to brass used in bolt action or strong single shot rifles that have the rigidity to only require the case neck resized for several firings after the initial one.
    Always full length resize for all handguns and all lever action, pump action, and semiauto rifles.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I just completed a major project, loading 1000 rounds of .45 ACP, and I resized each of the brand new Starline cases.
    It ensures proper chambering, consistent neck tension, and reliable extraction and ejection.
    I can say there was resistance with each case as I sized it, a telltale sign that they needed it.
    For clarification with the other fellow who mentioned only needing to full length resize, what he said about only needing to resize for the first firing and not thereafter applies strictly to brass used in bolt action or strong single shot rifles that have the rigidity to only require the case neck resized for several firings after the initial one.
    Always full length resize for all handguns and all lever action, pump action, and semiauto rifles.

^^^100%^^^

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't for pistol ammo.

You don't...but you do, sorta. When you bell the case mouth, that trues up the mouth and neck of the case. So, you may not resize the base/head, but during a normal reloading process for pistol ammo, you do address any concentricity issues.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Thanks for all the responses to my question. I think the general consensus is that you "may" not have to, but it's better if you do.
    I've been doing it all along, so it's probably a good idea to continue.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Every piece throught the same process. I remember a few years ago a well known champion shooter loosing a major when he discovered during the match, the hard way, that his new brass didn't have flash holes cut. I remember thinking "who just loads it w.o running through a sizer/decap." Apparently there are more of you out there then I would realize...

-rvb

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

You don't...but you do, sorta. When you bell the case mouth, that trues up the mouth and neck of the case. So, you may not resize the base/head, but during a normal reloading process for pistol ammo, you do address any concentricity issues.

When OP says "size and trim" I'm figuring he means length.

Top Bottom