• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Has anyone tried vacuum sealing ammunition? I am considering using my food sealer to package emergency ammo so that will be easy to carry and remain dry. I am considering pouring it loose in the bag. Does this have any ill effects on the ammo?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm glad you asked I was wondering about this for some longer term storage but the one thing I was worried about was How much of a vacuum them things really have and if the air pressure in side the case would cause the bullet or primer to creep a little,

If the things only bring it down 1/2 psi or something then its not a problem but if the things really work and take it down 10 psi or something then thats a possibility, I may be overcautious here but I'm just thinking here

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    I was going to try the same thing, only useing a number 10 can and sealing it. Trouble is, it will weigh in at about 75 pounds. I guess it won't be hard to tell which can holds ammo and which has green beans.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    There was a nice thread over at ARFcom on this topic... I couldnt locate the thread using the search tools.

It had great pics, best sized bags etc.... and they claimed there was no ill effects from the process on the ammo.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was going to try the same thing, only useing a number 10 can and sealing it. Trouble is, it will weigh in at about 75 pounds. I guess it won't be hard to tell which can holds ammo and which has green beans.
    What are you putting in it? Pure lead?
    Certainly not rifle ammo, but I could maybe see pistol ammo. I have a SAW can full (3,000+) of .40 that weighs 110 lbs.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    sealing it like that won't hurt...

...And may help.

If I were to do it, I'd look at 100rd "bags" for easy inventory.

-J-

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a friend that sealed a couple grand of 5.56 using a vacume sealer. He did it 100 rnds at a time and it sealed nicely. This was 2 years ago and it still looks good.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Thought I would post a pic of my first attempt at vacuum packing. So far so good. My son asked me a good question though. " How will you know how long it will last?"

IMG_1582.jpg

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    My .22lr ammo I bought in the late '80s fired off no problem the other day. No vacuum-sealing or anything else; just sitting in their original Winchester boxes.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    If you leave them in the box theres less chance for one of those 100 cases to rub up against something and cut the plastic.
    You could just mash the sharp edge of the box down a bit to make it less pointy and seal 'em up like that. Box provides a little more carry-ability.
    Just thinkin....

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a buddy that does this when ammo he's not competing with and doesn't know when he'll use it. He seals it in small bags of 100. He recently gave me 3 small bags (300 rds) and I used it during a class. I know it was several years old, but I don't know exactly. I'd say go for it. If I had a vacuum sealer, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    In my opinion, vaccuum sealing is just wasting time/money. There's no need for it as ammunition will remain ready to go for much longer than you and I will live.

In a SHTF scenario, that ammo should already be loaded into mags and ready to go.

Looks cool though!

ETA: My 7.62x54R ammo is over 42 years old and has never mis-fired. I've also witnessed 60 year old .45ACP ammo to fire without problems.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom