• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I am trying to consolidate rifles, so I'm trying to turn my 243 into a 22-250 so I can sell my Deuce fifty and get a new play toy. Anyway are there any other bullet options besides the 55gr nosler that a standard 243 win can come real close to 4000 fps with?(I'm after extreme flatness to 3-400yds ) I've tried the 62gr varmint grenade and got an honest 3600 out of it but never got the accuracy I wanted that coupled with mixed reviews on terminal performance I have moved on.
    Just a side note to try and stay on subject here I fully understand the merits of heavy and high BC's and could not be less interested at the moment. Fast and flat for just a short bit with minimal ricochet possibility are the concerns of today

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Hornady makes a 58gr V-Max. If you want Fast, Flat and Frangible, you needn't look any further.

What level of accuracy are you hoping to get? Sometimes you have to slow things down just a bit, with light-for-caliber bullets, to get the accuracy you want from a varmint rig.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    2nd on 58 gr V-max.
    Hornday does a factory load (Superformance Varmint) that clocks about 4100 out of a 24" barrel.
    I used these in a 22" barrel and was getting 3950-4000. I don't have the chrono data laying around, but it's a great load -- partially because of their powder.

I would expect 3800-3900 with any appropriate powder. Their Superformance powder is pretty awesome.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Hornady makes a 58gr V-Max. If you want Fast, Flat and Frangible, you needn't look any further.

What level of accuracy are you hoping to get? Sometimes you have to slow things down just a bit, with light-for-caliber bullets, to get the accuracy you want from a varmint rig.
    1.5 Moa would be acceptable, would like more but that would work. Gonna be my calling rig and after dark I can't imagine ever shooting past 400. Most expected shots would be in the 150yd range but it's really hard to judge distance in a red led beam so I figure flat in my range window will be just fine
    My 22-250 did just the opposite it didn't group until I really pushed it hard. Best 40gr group @4230 fps. 1/3 smaller that any other load I tried.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I load the 58 gr V-Max with H4895. Extremely accurate. When my buddies were reloading their 250's with 55 gr V-Max, my load was flatter then their loads. From a bench rest I can touch holes at 100 yds and less than a 2" group at 200.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    To me, a varmint gun/load that won't shoot under 1 MOA isn't much use, but if your main target is yotes, that changes things a bit. Where I grew up shooting, out West, ground squirrels were the main target and if you wanted to have fun in the field, half-inch groups from the bench were the standard. I don't get that kind of accuracy from the 58gr V-Max bullets, but they do hover around 1.5 MOA.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom