• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    While doing research on reloading .308 I find that some shooters use Winchester brass. I decided to look through my stash of brass and I'm finding that Winchester used more than one head stamp code. Can anybody offer any insight to what the difference is, if any, as far as the desirability of these two stamps?

Win_Brass_1.jpg

Last edited:

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    The one on the left has the NATO cross so it will have less case capacity. Do not reload at max load as the books usually list loads for non nato brass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The one on the left has the NATO cross so it will have less case capacity. Do not reload at max load as the books usually list loads for non nato brass.

How do you know that? M1 ball ammo (30-06) had brass that was significantly thicker, you could even feel the weight difference when picking it up in your hand. Of course it took an adjusted powder charge verses commercial brass.

I have heard the same about military 7.62 brass as well as 5.56 brass. I have heard it in gun shops, I have heard it over the internet, I have even seen it in magazine articles.

I have never found 7.62 brass or 5.56 US military brass that was significantly less capacity, as a matter of fact, all that I have checked had more variation between given pieces of brass in a common lot that it had variance between military and commercial. My Lake city 7.62 brass goes back as far as 67, and my military 5.56 goes back as far as TW 72.

I am always open to see something new. I would love to see some data with a difference in internal volumes.

It is good advice to always double check your reloading components for variance to avoid any safety issues. Size and trim any unknown brass and weigh it against known brass.

Top Bottom