• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So, I went and shot about 200 of my latest 45 ACP reloads yesterday. I had a mixture of Federal and Winchester brass that had been once fired. I used Titegroup 5.5 grains and WLP primers. The slugs were Hornady 230 grain FMJ seated to 1.255 OAL and crimped to .467. I am going to back off of my crimp to about .469-.470 in the future. I had plunk and case gauge tested all rounds.
    They all shot without any issues through both my HK 45t and my 1911, but in comparing them side by side to Federal American Eagle 230 FMJ, I was shooting slightly better groups with my reloads, but shooting lower as well. Like 3-4” lower at 25 yards.

I am thinking that I need to develop the loads to shoot a bit flatter, but I am concerned about doing so without having used or acquired a chronograph. My thought is, if I went to 5.6 grains of powder, I’d be fine, given that at 5.5 grains I was maybe a little underpowered, but I am considering just trying to start using a chrono.
    Any recommendations on a basic and easy to use chrono for checking reloads?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    ProChrono Digital...Midway often has em for $99 or so.

That brand was always more stable for me than the Alph and Beta models, even though I actually like the compact metal chassis of the alpha chrony vs the large grey plastic Competition electronics housing.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    So, I went and shot about 200 of my latest 45 ACP reloads yesterday. I had a mixture of Federal and Winchester brass that had been once fired. I used Titegroup 5.5 grains and WLP primers. The slugs were Hornady 230 grain FMJ seated to 1.255 OAL and crimped to .467. I am going to back off of my crimp to about .469-.470 in the future. I had plunk and case gauge tested all rounds.
    They all shot without any issues through both my HK 45t and my 1911, but in comparing them side by side to Federal American Eagle 230 FMJ, I was shooting slightly better groups with my reloads, but shooting lower as well. Like 3-4” lower at 25 yards.

I am thinking that I need to develop the loads to shoot a bit flatter, but I am concerned about doing so without having used or acquired a chronograph. My thought is, if I went to 5.6 grains of powder, I’d be fine, given that at 5.5 grains I was maybe a little underpowered, but I am considering just trying to start using a chrono.
    Any recommendations on a basic and easy to use chrono for checking reloads?

5.5 gr is well over max load per the Hodgdon Load Data website. They list max load as 4.8 gr. I wouldn't think it wise to raise it any more. Where did you get your original load data?

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    5.5 gr is well over max load per the Hodgdon Load Data website. They list max load as 4.8 gr. I wouldn't think it wise to raise it any more. Where did you get your original load data?

Yeah, so confusing to me,... but I saw that. I referenced 4 manuals. I went with mid range recommended by the slug manufacturer I was loading, Hornady. The Hornady manual lists 4.3 grains titegroup as the minimum load and 4.8 as the maximum load for their 230 FMJ RN. They also list 1.210 as the COL. In a previous batch, I loaded some Sierra Matchkings 230 FMJ RN and their manual listed 6.2 grains titegroup as the maximum as well as he accuracy load, if I remember correctly. I still only loaded those between 4.5 and 4.7. I only have the Hornady available to me as I sit in my office.

The manuals also gave a shorter COL. I went with 4.5 feeling pretty safe, knowing that Sierra listed it higher and Hornady had that as a mid range load. PLUS, I was loading to a longer COL in order to get into the 1.25-1.26 COL recommended by Wilson, which I understood to mean that pressures will be reduced somewhat. I think in the future, I am going to just load to what the manufacturer of the bullet states instead to make my rounds match their load data more closely. I assume they will still cycle fine. Maybe they would shoot flatter if I reduced my COL as a result of increased pressure.

Thanks for the recommendation.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Hoggdon's website is pretty "lawyered up", in my experience...
    Whoever psyed about that being too high was right. Take any powder charge i typed and subtract a full grain. I was loading 4.5 and sierra said 5.2 was max!?! Thanks. I wasn't loading 5.5 grains, but my 1 brain was overloaded earlier i guess.

Top Bottom