• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    So I am in the market for a case prep center and I was wanting to get everyone's opinion on what they like. I've narrowed it down between the Lyman and the RCBS and I just wanted to get people's experiences. The Lyman seems to have a nice, large working space but obviously it has a larger footprint. The RCBS would have smaller footprint and typically RCBS stuff has a very good reputation. In any case, just looking to get people's experiences and preferences or hear about any negatives of the two units.

For Reference:

Lyman: Lyman Case-Prep Xpress : Cabela's

RCBS: RCBS® Trim Mate™ Case Prep Center : Cabela's

The primary job of this unit will be to make chamfering and deburring easier on my hands, so that is the primary concern for me. Thanks in advance for the replies!

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have Lyman; works great. They give you this little brush to clean the brass shavings; don't bother, just use your shop vac.
    Never used RCBS

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've got the RCBS unit...it works great, as well. Not sure if one is better than the other in any significant way, so green or gray? :)

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Yep, I think Broom_jm nailed it. It all comes down to color preference as they both rotate tools in a similar way. I have the RCBS but would probably be just as happy with the Lyman. Only thing I done different was I installed carbide tools for the inside and outside chamfer stations.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    RCBS here. No issues, but never used a Lyman.
    So far this thread has been anything BUT informative. LOL

I don't see a hill of beans difference between the two.
    Does one have a better warranty?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    According to what I've read about Lyman's other electrical/electronic products (specifically their lead furnaces), you'll get a one year warranty for their case prep center.
    According to RCBS, you'll get a two year warranty for theirs...source - Warranty - RCBS
    My personal experience with RCBS CS is 100% happy, since they sent broken decapping pins at no cost whatsoever (not expensive, but still) with just a phone call asking for a part #, and they made me a custom bullet seating plug for the Hornady FTX bullet for my .45 Colt die for ~$15 total.
    With that said, unless you get a total lemon of a case prep center, or if you're someone who uses it for tens of thousands of rounds a year, you probably won't ever need to use the warranty from either Lyman or RCBS until long after it has expired.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thank you all for the replies, it appears as though it is a wash between the two. I'll probably get the Lyman as I like the larger work area and I think it would be easier to clean up.

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    Lyman, sells more all the time than the RCBS and it comes with all the bits for less cost. We have abused the same one at Profire for over 3 years and it still is going strong. Plus it has a lip to gather all the shavings, the rcbs just go's everywhere.

Top Bottom