• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not in a lot of years. What is the question? Those cases are thin and easy to damage. Be sure the cases are really clean and lubed for sizing and go slow. If you go fast you will buckle the case. DO NOT try to seat the bullet and crimp at the same time, you will buckle the case. Do not crimp it very much, you will buckle the case. If you do everything right, you may still buckle a case or two. It is not hard to load for, except it is easy to buckle a case. (do you see the "hidden" warning?):):

I never got any accuracy out of bullets that were 50 grains of heavier. The 40 grain bullets flew right. You rifle may be different. I liked IMR 4227, but never experimented much.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The purpose of my post is to find someone who shoots this caliber and reloads. I was digging through my reloading bench this evening and found a box of empty once fired cases (50). There are four cases that still have the factory loading. Looking to find these a good home. Would be willing to hand them off to someone who is willing to pick them up. I don't want to ship the live rounds.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    17 Ackley Hornet and 17 Squirrel.

I load and shoot both of them myself. Along with 17 Heebee, Also 19 Calhoon
    ( 19 Hornet )
    What 17 bullets are you shooting.
    I was lucky and got a few thou Berger 18 grainers before they stopped making them. Most of the time I use the Varmint Nightmares also known as Midway's Dogtown 20 grainers. I believe they are Australian Noslers.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Contenders and Encores. I was shooting the 20gr Hornady Z-Max, wish I would of bought all I could find when they were on clearance for 40 bucks per 500, out of a 14 inch 17 fireball contender pistol. I sold that barrel and went up to a 21 inch 17 fireball barrel, going to work on load development with what I have left of the z-max. In the rifle barrel purchase I happened on a guy getting out of the 17 game, picked up a contender 17AH barrel and several thousand 17 cal bullets. Mostly old Hornady 25 gr Spire HP, a box of berger 25gr match, a box of 20gr nosler SHOTS and 20gr varmint nightmare extremes (midway dogtowns). The squirrel barrel in on the way, along with some of Todd's formed brass. Most likely will load it with 20gr dogtowns. I plan on using that encore barrel to hunt squirrels with this year. So far the Z-Max has been the best I have tried so far. Here is a pic of the 17FB contender wearing new Tony Gettel customs on it. Pistol is another contender, 17HM2, also with some of Tony's stocks on it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Very nice toys you have. I like the pistol grips.
    Todd's brass, you moneybags you.. I have Reddings form die set for squirrel.. They were hard on the wallet. The Nightmare bullets will blow a exiting shoulder to shreds, so if you are cooking them go for a head shot. Mine are all Cooper Montana Varminters. If you are going to buy forming dies look and learn what's out there before you blow unnecessary money. I think Bullberry makes a set of 17 cal forming dies that will form more than one caliber.
    I spent a bunch of unnecessary money years ago by not paying attention before I ordered some forming dies.

Have you tried any of Kindlers bullets ? He is a wealth of information when shooting 17s. I have his first loading manual with the 17s and 20s if you want or need that data.

Top Bottom