• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, I guess I have a good problem to have. Friday a client dropped off buckets and buckets of brass. I don't think I'm going to have to buy brass in several different calibers for a spell.

Now that I have it . . . how to clean it all?

Any place that will clean it for you? Or, in the alternative, do I have a reason to buy a bigger tumbler (or two)?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you can't find any other solution, I have a fairly large tumbler that I would loan you, holds 2 to 3 gal of .45 at a time.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Kirk, If you polish them all pretty right now, in a couple years they will be re tarnished just sittling in storage. I would maybe just process a small amount, say maybe 1000 pieces of each caliber that you commonly use. As they wear out and get lost, polish up some more. Unless you are preping them for bulk sales, there is no hurry to get them all done at once.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Rent a cement mixer, seriously, this is how Kent Lomont used to clean brass back in the 80s.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Poilsh them and store them in 5 gal buckets with lids that snap on. They will stay bright and shiny for decades.
    Ammo stays bright and shiny in good sealed ammo cans dang near forever.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Rent a cement mixer, seriously, this is how Kent Lomont used to clean brass back in the 80s.

^^^+1 on this^^^

On my advice, one of my friends bought a used cement mixer for polishing his .50 BMG brass. After seeing how well it worked, he switched to using it for all of his calibers!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How many buckets?
    I'll clean it for you, if we can get the logistics worked out. Maybe rhino can help with the transporting?

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well, I guess I have a good problem to have. Friday a client dropped off buckets and buckets of brass. I don't think I'm going to have to buy brass in several different calibers for a spell.

Now that I have it . . . how to clean it all?

Any place that will clean it for you? Or, in the alternative, do I have a reason to buy a bigger tumbler (or two)?

How many hours did you bill him for having to carry it all back to the house?

kmoffett71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Plainfield
    How many of you have good luck when you reload? I have thought about buying a dye cast to do my, but I don't know if it's worth the time compared to cost.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a cement mixer! I always thought Uncle Jerry used an old dryer, I now remember watching a different video than the one in the thread where he talks about using a cement mixer. The reloading level of the guy is intense!

The next time I have a lot of brass to polish I might just use try out my cement mixer!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

+2, 3, 4, whatever.

1st time through with water. It's bound to be filthy. Change water until the water comes out clear. Lay it out on a big tarp in the driveway to dry in the sun.

Sort.

2nd time through with Lizard Bedding from the pet store (walnut shells). Doesn't come out all shiny like corn cob, but it cleans faster and leaves a "matte" finish.

Use an ammonia free brass polish in the walnut shell if you want. I also hear Nu Finish does a good job.

Cut up dryer sheets in the mix help with the dust.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Top Bottom