• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't know if this is just me, but it seems like the quality control of most ammunition manufacturers seems to have suffered badly in the last few years (my guess is due to the whole ammo crisis). .22 LR seems to have been hit particularly hard, but I've noticed more problems over the last couple of years with dud rounds (mostly bad primers) and bad crimping.

Just this weekend, I took a box of Federal Automatch .22 LR to the range (great for semi-autos, according to the box) and it turned my 10/22 into a jam-o-matic (stove piping ever 4 or 5 rounds) and it wouldn't even cycle my Sig Mosquito. When I bought a couple boxes of Remington Thunderbolt (overpriced as $3.99 a box, ouch), then I was able to shoot both normally (other than an occasionally restrike required to touch off a round).

I've had problems with centerfire ammo as well. A lot with TulAmmo and also with Remington UMC (again, bad primers).

Anyone else noticing this?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I was sighting in my Savage mkii FV-SR .22lr and it did exceptionally well with CCI standard and quiet. The Remington subsonics on the other hand were terrible. I'm guessing they had powder charges all over the place as the groups did 3 moa at best. Probably why some were incredibly quiet while others were supersonic. That'll be the last time I buy Rem subs.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't know if this is just me, but it seems like the quality control of most ammunition manufacturers seems to have suffered badly in the last few years (my guess is due to the whole ammo crisis).

You are almost certainly right about the cause. Many of these factories switched to 24x7 operations to try and keep up with demand. Unfortunately, not surprising that quality would suffer when you are really being pressed for output.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Nope...the ammo coming out of the presses in my garage is as good as it ever was, which is to say better than or as good as the very best factory ammo available.

The cost has gone up a little, though.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have seen it in .22 for sure. Had box of Winchester 333 that had about a 10percent fail rate. About half fired the second time around.
    Not really noticing a problem with centerfire. But I shoot an old school Ruger P95. Runs just about everything.

Question related to ammo QC.
    Is Winchester NATO 9MM actually made any "better" than the regular white box? Logic would make me think yes, but ya know.......

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I haven't bought enough new .22 rimfire to have and opinion. Dang stuff is too hard to find. I really like Federal Automatch but am still shooting old stock.

I do think that the qaulity of bulk or value pack 9mm and 45 acp has declined. I shoot mostly reloaded ammuniton now but I do still use some factory.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Don't know about "better". The main difference is that 9mm NATO is higher pressure than regular 9mm, roughly 9mm +P.

Cool. Thank you. I also assume that the green smudges on the primer are some kind of sealer? ( I had some of the Turkish ZQ 123gr NATO when it was around. It also had paint smudges on the primer. Red.)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. This is from Cabella's. I have been buying it because it is $12.99 for a box of 50. I shot a box of it but also was shooting old and new carry ammo so I didn't notice any extra oopmh. I will take some federal bulk and see if I feel the difference.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I don't know if it's me, but it seems like quality control has went down across the board for a couple decades now! Not really noticed it in any of my ammo though.

Top Bottom