• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have been reloading for more years than I care to think about. Most of the time I have used Winchester or Remington brass. A year or so ago I picked up 50 rounds of 223 Lapua brass that I got for a good price. Also it was all I could find at the time. It cost me $10.00 more than I had been paying for Winchester brass. So I thought I would give it a shot.

I broke open the box and set up to trim it all to length for my 6 mm 223. Big shocker, it was all to length. I then set up the re-sizing die to expand the necks out to 6 mm. Now last time I did this it was with once fired brass. The Lapua brass I used this time was a pleasure to work with. It had no dings and was very easy to re-size. No split necks after sizing.

I have read in the past how good Lapua brass is. I thought it was really for the bench rest crowed. Now I know it is just good brass. I will be picking up more Lapua brass. I think I will try some 308 next for making 358 Winchester and 358 Hoosier brass.

If you haven't tried Lapua brass you should try it at least once. It is a pleasure to work with.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I use it in 308,223 and 221 Fireball. It used to be reasonably priced 10-15 years ago, now it just hurts to buy it. But well worth the money.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    It is great brass!!! I still use some Rem, Fed and Win, but when I am a little more serious about accuracy or loading hunting loads, it is only Lapua.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't used Lapua at all, but the only bad thing I've ever heard about it is the price.
    Definitely about as good as you can get for factory brass.
    Maybe someone with a custom operation for making brass could outdo it, but probably not by much.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've seen the Lapua brass, but always figured it was match grade stuff or something. There was a significant difference over other names so I haven't tried it, yet.

How does Starline brass stack up in the order of things?

Sorry to derail the thread. New reloader.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've seen the Lapua brass, but always figured it was match grade stuff or something. There was a significant difference over other names so I haven't tried it, yet.

How does Starline brass stack up in the order of things?

Sorry to derail the thread. New reloader.

I've used Starline for both 10mm Auto and .45 Colt, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's probably better than either Winchester or Remington, and at least the equal of Federal.
    I've been told that their .45 Colt brass is the best available (thicker and better able to contain stout loads for Ruger Blackhawk), especially since Federal quit selling their unprimed brass in the same caliber.
    One thing to keep in mind with Starline is that they make handgun brass and specific straight wall rifle brass exclusively, so you'll need to find someone else for bottleneck rifle brass.

legends4b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    jeffersonville
    I bought some lapua and norma like 6mm just was able to get a very good price on them. I have put 17 reloads on the norma in a .308 and was surprised at how well its holding up both are top shelf. :ar15:

Top Bottom