• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I am looking to buy a powder measure. The one I am looking at is the Redding 3 powder measure.

For those of you that are using one, how does it work? Are you happy with it. Is there one that is better?

I have been measuring all loads with a Redding scale. I have a Lee powder measure and have used it for 9mm and 357 mag. It works OK but I don't trust it to do rifles cases. I am looking for something that will work for 223 and 308.

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My brother uses one and he likes it, I have a few that I use, but for loading my little wildcats and 223 to 300 win I have two Barrel Bros ' Cluver ' measures.
    I have there little pistol measure and their high end ball bearing Culver measure. These old Virginia boys are benchrest shooters and maunfacure very very nice loading equipment. Most of there measures are one click equals 1/10th of a grain of powder.
    They build truly the " Shizzle " of manual powder measures.
    http://www.harrellsprec.com

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Redding is expensive, but it will be perfect for the rest of your life. So if you are planning to live a long time, it is a good investment. I like it. I have seen the Harrell measures that bench rest shooters like. Very well made. The ones I saw had pretty small capacity, but their website shows different sizes. My best one for pistol charges is my old Pacific (since bought out by Hornady) with a pistol sized drum and spindle. Not quite as well made as the Redding, but works pretty well.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I don't see any way that a micrometer would make the measure more repeatable/consistent. All it does is allow you to get back close to where you were before. The metering assembly on the Hornady is cheap enough that you can buy one for each pet load (and exactly how many pet loads do people have?) and it will always be at the same setting (and that will still leave some small adjustment as powder settling is one factor that determines the exact charge thrown).
    I really doubt that powder cares whether it is filling a $100 dollar measure's cavity or a $1000 measure's. All powder measures work well and none are always perfect (some days, I just have to switch measures and the next day the original measure is all good again).
    If a big part of your life is accurate shooting, you invest money in "the best."
    Heck, I haven't used it all that much, but the Lee Perfect Powder Measure has been about the most consistent measure I have ever used (including Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and Lee)--I just don't load enough rifle to use it much and when I do, I often just use my RCBS ChargeMaster.
    TSo, if you are really hung up on consistency, you might want to consider an RCBS ChargeMaster and forget measures altogether.

Top Bottom