• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How often is recommended for one to change out their preferred self-defense JHP ammo?

Are the reasons for changing it out a matter of primers and/or powder somehow going bad?, wear from repeated chambering/unchambering action?, matters of corrosion?

And lastly, if someone wanted to inspect each of their EDCs rounds individually for signs pointing to unreliability, what should they look for?

(I realize there are already threads on this topic, but they are from a year or more ago. I thought it would be beneficial to have a fresh discussion on the matter for the sake of newer members)

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I change out SD ammo yearly. Just because.
    As far as rechambering goes, I just go down through the magazine.

Edit: Good quality magazines will last years and years. I have some Beretta 92 mags that are over 20 years old and work just fine.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I had federal hydrashok from the 90s in mags and shot all of it about 5 years ago when I switched to hornady defense which will stay loaded in mags until needed or I decide to try the latest ammo.

I am no expert.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Bullet setback ( or pushing the bullet further into the case than it originally was ) can be a real problem.

As mentioned above, it can easily happen. In fact, it's likely to happen if you just cycle the top round of your defensive ammo over and over.

Other than that, I don't have many concerns about ammo "going bad". There is a lot of reliable milsurp ammo from a LONG time ago.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It can raise the pressure in the round (compacting the powder). That increases the chance of it going boom instead of bang.

This.

And you can also simply remove your gun, holster and all, and place it in your preferred method if secure storage. That way you dont have to worry as much about setback. (except for switching from EDC to range)

And to chime in, other than setback I dont know of any shelf life. I've been shooting my late father's 90s era factory FMJs at IDPA events without so much as a hiccup. If stored properly Im not sure the ammo wont outlive YOU.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally will use the top two rounds for awhile and after a fair amount of time (over a year) I'll just shoot them and start using two new rounds for loading and unloading. I've never had any issues, and it works for me. I always have extras after topping off all of my mags with a couple boxes, and it's nice to have extra anyways.

Note, I am not one of those guys who unloads and reloads his pistol on a regular basis, I unload my gun a handful of times each month when I am out shooting. Other than that it stays holstered and loaded.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    And you can also simply remove your gun, holster and all, and place it in your preferred method if secure storage. That way you dont have to worry as much about setback. (except for switching from EDC to range)

Note, I am not one of those guys who unloads and reloads his pistol on a regular basis, I unload my gun a handful of times each month when I am out shooting. Other than that it stays holstered and loaded.

^^^^ This ^^^^:yesway:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    The only time I unchamber a round is when cleaning, Loading up for practice or for self defense. Why else unload your gun? Unloading and reloading each time you put on/take off your gun is an nd waiting to happen. Leave it loaded!

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just bought some fresh Critical Duty's for my EDCs. My question now, are my current older CD's with signs of setback, now that they've been retired from the front lines, are they even safe just to send down range?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    This is one of those "there's no right answer" questions. If you read around you'll find some folks recommend doing it this often and others recommend doing it that often. Many, especially those who've carried and shot for years and years, will tell you never unless your ammo looks funky or something.

There are countless stories of guns being dug up from past wars and they still shoot just fine, even with all that gunk in them and the years of decay and spring depression. (That's another "semi vs. revolver" question there - spring wear.) But you carry yours every day and get sweat, pocket lint and who knows what else on it. There's no way it'll shoot if you don't change out the ammo every six months or every year.

Try it. Simply load your pistol today and then don't touch it (other than normal carry) for a year. You'll probably be surprised to find out she shoots just fine.

MBTech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Bullet set back? There's nothing putting pressure on the bullet itself to set it back... Am I missing something here? A chambered round should not have any resistance anywhere on the bullet itself. Other wise, the bullet won't make it through the barrel...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Bullet set back? There's nothing putting pressure on the bullet itself to set it back... Am I missing something here? A chambered round should not have any resistance anywhere on the bullet itself. Other wise, the bullet won't make it through the barrel...
    The act of chambering... When the bullet impacts the feed ramp. If you do that enough times (some more some less, depending on the ammo), the bullet gets pressed back into the case.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Example... Just pulled these out of a my carry mag.

I've found the wider the mouth of the bullet, the more prone to setback. These (CorBons) and Gold Dots have been the worst offenders. With Hornady Critical Defense/Duty, I have experienced virtually zero setback.

daustin923

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2013
    United States
    I had issues with the critical duty I used in my TRP causing failure to feed/failure to return to battery on some rounds. I spoke with the people at my preferred LGS who are far more knowledgeable than I regarding the 1911. They stated that the angle of the 1911 feed ramp forces the rubber portion of the Critical Duty bullet to get stuck on the barrel hood. I run critical duty in my G17 without a problem, and switched to Federal HSTs in the TRP-flawless so far.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I had issues with the critical duty I used in my TRP causing failure to feed/failure to return to battery on some rounds. I spoke with the people at my preferred LGS who are far more knowledgeable than I regarding the 1911. They stated that the angle of the 1911 feed ramp forces the rubber portion of the Critical Duty bullet to get stuck on the barrel hood. I run critical duty in my G17 without a problem, and switched to Federal HSTs in the TRP-flawless so far.

Yep. Same reason many 1911's won't run SWC's without modifications.

MBTech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    The act of chambering... When the bullet impacts the feed ramp. If you do that enough times (some more some less, depending on the ammo), the bullet gets pressed back into the case.

Never had that issue... However, every range session I go through a couple mags of my self defense ammo just so I know my firearm is eating it properly. I never really chamber the same round over and over again.

Top Bottom