• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I'm working on some .380 and decided to try out Falcon's Falcoated bullets. Some of the coating comes off when I seat them, is this common or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      495.5 KB · Views: 18

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I would give Falcoln bullets a phone call … here’s an excerpt from their description:
    “The pleasant appearance is born out of the consistency of the coating thickness that is free from dimples and bulges that can interfere with the reloading process and flight.”

Looks like after bullet seating or crimping you no longer have “free from dimples …”. I sure don’t like what I see in your pic.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Yeah I wasn't really thrilled either. I sent a photo to Falcon and gave a brief description of what happened so I'll wait to hear from them. I did read online that someone was having issues with coated bullets and they expanded the case mouth more than usual and that took care of the problem. Right now I'm wishing I would have stuck with Berry's.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I don't know what company's dies you are using but, most manufactures will recut your seater stem to a certain bullet for a small fee if you send them your seater stem and a few bullets.
    The seater stem is not cut for the design bullet you are using.
    You also can use some two part epoxy to correct your problem. Just clean you seater stem well and put a small amount of epoxy inside of the stem where the bullet is seated and reinstall it in the die and then put the die in your press and close it lightly on one of your loaded rounds that has the new bullet.
    Let the epoxy set the required time and it should work fine and not ring the bullets anymore.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I don't know what company's dies you are using but, most manufactures will recut your seater stem to a certain bullet for a small fee if you send them your seater stem and a few bullets.
    The seater stem is not cut for the design bullet you are using.
    You also can use some two part epoxy to correct your problem. Just clean you seater stem well and put a small amount of epoxy inside of the stem where the bullet is seated and reinstall it in the die and then put the die in your press and close it lightly on one of your loaded rounds that has the new bullet.
    Let the epoxy set the required time and it should work fine and not ring the bullets anymore.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that was an option. My dies are RCBS, I could try to contact them and see if they would do it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Rcbs website, under FAQ for dies states

Q: When I seat the bullet, the seater plug cuts a ring around the bullet just below the nose. What causes this?
    A: In short, the seater plug does not fit the bullet you are using. The seater plug furnished with the Seater Die normally will fit the great majority of the bullets for that particular caliber. However, we cannot make one seater plug fit all bullets currently available. If you experience this problem or any similar problem where the seater plug doesn't match the bullet and you wish to have a special seater plug made, we can supply one from the Special Order Department at minimum cost. See our Special Order Catalog for current pricing.

Top Bottom