• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am looking for tried and true 10mm loads that work well out of a shorter barrel. I am just starting to load for my new Commander with a 4.25" barrel.
    I do have manuals and internet and fom my research I am thinking of going with 200gr jhp bulliets and it seems Blue dot, #9 and 800 x give the best velocity but most of the testing is out of longer barrels.
    So farI have been using Longshot wth decent results but am curious about what you guys are using.

Does anybody here have personal expeiance loading for a Commander or glock 29?

I am also interested in other 10mm pet loads.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just my opinion here, but unless you're intending to do hog or deer hunting with your 10mm, I have a hard time seeing why anyone would want to use 200 grain bullets.
    My opinion is that the heaviest bullet suitable for self-defense purposes against two-legged varmints is 180 grains.
    However, my personal favorite is the 155 grain Speer Gold Dot.
    With 155 grain bullets, you get a balance between speed and weight, and a sectional density nearly identical to that of the 125 grain bullet out of .357 Magnum, which is perennially at the very top of the ratings for one shot stops.
    My S&W 1006 does very well with stout loads, and that's what I routinely feed it.
    My favored load for it consists of a Starline case primed with a CCI 300 primer, with the 155 grain Speer Gold Dot HP, backed with a charge of 15.9 grains of Accurate Arms #9.
    I fired these loads over my Shooting Chrony just this past March, and I was getting right at 1420 feet per second, which translates to a whopping 694 foot pounds.
    This is a maximum load, but I have no problem controlling it, and while the blast is pretty impressive, it's not at all unpleasant to shoot.
    I've never shot any 10mm gun except for my own, so I have to wonder how this particular load would be in that stubby Glock 29, but I'm pretty sure the gun can handle it, even though my intuition is that the short grip model 29 will make it a real handful.
    It's common knowledge that the Colt Delta Elite should not be loaded to the same levels as you can safely use with the Glock 20, Glock 29, and S&W 1006, so I'm uncertain about that Commander.
    With that said, you will definitely have a margin of safety if you first load it with the recommended starting charge of 14.3 grains of AA#9.
    You can move upward in increments until either you safely reach maximum, or when you or the gun is at the level when going higher is unwise.
    I know you're a well respected gunsmith, so I'm unsure how knowledgeable you are about how to evaluate pressure by carefully scrutinizing the case head and primer, but that's what you'll want to look at.
    Of course, the 10mm really launches the brass, so that makes it tougher to recover than with most any other auto pistol caliber, so you'll probably want to lay out a tarp to simplify collecting the empties, or get yourself one of those brass catchers that you can wear on one hand.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Given my vast collection of 10mms, including one of the very first G29s produced, with barrels from that to my 16" carbine, I have played with and collected data for many different loads. I'm not going to publish anything that is outside of commercially published data, though I have well exceeded those for many of my loads, because there is too much variability in what various guns can handle. I currently own: G20,29; S&W 1006,1066; RIA1911; Modern Delta Elite; EAA Witness Compact; Olympic Arms AR Carbine; and a custom G20 Longslide I built with 6.6" bbl and compensator (my space gun). I also own every LWD barrel made for the Glocks and .40 conversion barrels for them as well.

I currently use 180gr for my plinking and some hunting loads for lighter varmits. My grizzly load is a 200gr hard cast running at nuclear velocities.

I've used all of the powders you mention, and of them the only one I steer clear of for max loads is 800x as it's behavior near the top end is not as stable as I like. My current favs for med to high end loads from shorter barrels is PowerPistol and for longer barrels with 180 or 200gr is HS-6. I only shoot 180s and 200gr as noted above. I played with 155s for a while but decided that a hot .40 was not what I wanted as the recoil impulse felt a lot sharper for the same energy.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Great input both of you, nice assortment of 10's shibumiseeker
    My main reason for thinking about the 200gr is that it will give the powder a little more time to burn before leaving the barrel. I am not looking to run nuclear loads out of this gun but I want to know I am shooting a 10 when i shoot it.
    I have been running 180's at 1240 fps which is almost as hot as I want but not quite.

Definitely hate chasing the 10 brass

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have loaded AA #9 12.4 gr. and 175gr. SWC BB and HS6 at 8.8gr. with a 180 gr. TC BB. I use these in a Tanfoglio Witness.

I agree wholeheartedly about hate chasing the brass!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I've been playing around with 10mm and HS6 lately.

Let me know if you want me to plug anything into Quickload for you.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I've been playing around with 10mm and HS6 lately.

Let me know if you want me to plug anything into Quickload for you.

how is the HS6 doing? I have several pounds of it on hand and have been thinking about using it. everything I shoot will be either 180 or 200 gr.
    The book data for HS6 velocity is slower then I like but I have only looked at one source.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I made up some loads with HS6, and it works just fine.
    I was able to get muzzle velocity about 90% of what I can with AA#9 with it, so decent performance.
    Blue Dot also works well, albeit with quite a bit of muzzle flash.
    With BD, performans similarly to what HS6 does.
    I also loaded up some with 800-X, which also performs well, but it meters so poorly through my Uniflow powder measure that I weighed each load using my PACT powder dispenser combo.
    Hodgdon CFE Pistol also does quite well in it.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks.
    I will test the hs6 since I have some.
    I shot a couple hundred rounds through the pistol yesterday. Love this gun :)

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    how is the HS6 doing? I have several pounds of it on hand and have been thinking about using it. everything I shoot will be either 180 or 200 gr.
    The book data for HS6 velocity is slower then I like but I have only looked at one source.

I only went to 1200fps so far. My elevation adjustment screw sheared off last range trip and I haven't fixed yet to continue development.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks.
    I will test the hs6 since I have some.
    I shot a couple hundred rounds through the pistol yesterday. Love this gun :)

Here's mine:
    Smith__Wesson_1006.jpg

That Commander of yours is so pretty, though, that I need a drop cloth to for my :drool:.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks, is that a 1066?
    I just redid the upper on the commander and the ribbed barrel really makes a big difference over the bushing barrel I had in it

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks, is that a 1066?
    I just redid the upper on the commander and the ribbed barrel really makes a big difference over the bushing barrel I had in it

It's a 1006.
    It must be nice having the skills and tooling to do that kind of work.
    That Commander is one of the reasons so many people believe the 1911 is one of the best looking guns ever made.
    Bet it shoots as good as it looks, too.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    1006 is actually what I meant :) Bobtail commander is my favorite 1911 setup.

Top Bottom