• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Is anyone familiar with this powder? I just started experimenting with it on some 44 magnum rounds, and I'm getting some very inconsistent powder throws. It's to the point where I am not comfortable unless every single charge gets weighed. Can anyone tell me if this IMR-4227 meters poorly, or do I have some equipment issues that I need to dig into? Thanks in advance for the help.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    What powder measure are you using ?
    Are you shearing off the powder when you operate your measure ?
    Does your measure lockup ?
    What is the variance you are seeing ?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I use Lee scoops, and weigh .....

This is the method I typically use. I've used this powder for .44 Mag, .45 LC, and lead bullet .30-40 Krag. A bit smokey and leaves a little bit of unburned powder, but I like using it. When loading the .30-40 Krag I used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and didn't have any trouble with inconsistent charge weights; most were right on the money and the others were + or - 0.1 grains.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm using a Lee Perfect Powder measure that I have had for years. It's never given me trouble before, so there's something not quite right. I just need to track it down. It's currently set to throw 20.4 grains, but on the first pass through the die, I'll get 21 grains and some change. If I immediately dump that back in the powder measure and run the case up in the die again, I get the 20.4 grains I'm looking for. It's the damnedest thing I've run across in a while. I may switch back over and load up some 38 Specials just to see if I still have any issues.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had good results with this powder except with the Model 29, small unburned pieces would get underneath the ejector and make rotation drag.

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    Thats strange. I've had only great luck with 4227. It is my favorite powder for 44 mag. I would try taking apart the powder measure and rub a used dryer sheet over all the parts. You might also try putting some graphite in between the rotor and the measure's body.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Haven't used much lately, but have used a fair bit in .38 Specials, and the .22 Hornet.
    It doesn't meter as well as say Titegroup, but I don't recall any major issues with any of my powder measures.

One thing that MAY help.
    After cleaning as above, fill the hopper to the top, and cycle 1/3 to 1/2 thru it before you start to measure.
    Helps the powder settle in the hopper, and the coating on the powder helps lube the measure.
    Not a sure fire method by any stretch, but sometimes helps.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My RCBS powder dispenser is on the money with 4227.

I actually thought it was broke it was throwing so perfect.

So far so good in 300BLK although there are better powders out there for it. I also loaded a handful of .357 mags and liked it. Sure there are better powders out there but 4227 made a nice overall working load.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Are you using the expander bushing with that dispenser? That would be the only difference, the bushing would be pushed a little farther the first time than the second. Not sure how that translates into your results though.

I just noticed you said you are using the perfect powder measure. How are you actuating it? Isn't this the one what has the micrometer adjustments instead of the disks?

Top Bottom