13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I found the caldwell premium kit is great and can be found for a great price. I got mine for 75 bucks shipped. It comes with tripod, lights for shooting indoors, the whole nine. it also comes with a cord and app so that you can connect it to your phone and it records all your data on the phone for latter reviewing. There is lots of great ones out there. If you want the best then the magnetospeed v3 is the most accurate I have seen.

https://www.google.com/#q=caldwell+ballistic+precision+chronograph+premium+kit

https://www.google.com/#q=magnetospeed+v3+ballistic+chronograph

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am not looking to drop $400. However I don't want to buy something that sucks either... I was expecting to pay + or - $200 here but I am just unsure of what to buy. I checked out the one you have.. Doesn't seem bad. I also looked at the CED M2

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    For the money, ProChrono Digital is a great buy.

I have a Magnetospeed V2, and for rifles, it is the shiznit (now in V3 version and the less-costly 'Sporter' version).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'd love to have something cool like the V2 for some of the rifles but I think something a bit cheaper at this point is the way to go for me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just recently picked up the magnetospeed sporter for around $180. So far I am pleaded with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Just curious, but what makes it better than the ProChrono? Or why should I spend the extra $80?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Just curious, but what makes it better than the ProChrono? Or why should I spend the extra $80?

It isn't sensitive to ambient lighting conditions like a normal "screened" chronograph is, ie. more consistent & accurate.

Downside is it pretty much is a rifle-only proposition, whereas the ProChrono can be used for pistols, bows, etc.

I love my V2...

9CC2B00C-4176-4966-8051-97B481EC124E_zpsa73gcikk.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks. Well I reload pistol too and I could foresee myself using it for that also so I'd say it's out. I'd say now I'm looking at the ProChrono (just don't know how it'd be for a fast moving rifle round) and the CED 2 or MagnetoSpeed.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    ProChrono Digital is a fine piece of equipment and works fine for rifles...its just that the Magnetospeed is mo'betta (at least certainly mo'consistent) in my experience with both.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I use the Pro Chrono with fantastic results and find it to be very consistent. I also purchased the Bluetooth accessory so it can transmit all the data to my android smart phone. Nice since I don't need to leave the bench to change strings or check data. Later the data can be saved to a pdf file for future reference.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thank you guys! I just ordered the Pro Chrono Digital. I appreciate all of your help!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Got my Pro Chrono in on Thursday of last week and tried it out yesterday and it worked just fine... Thank you again guys for your help!

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    The Pro Chrono has been around a while and it's a solid entry level chrono so its easy to find recommendations for it. (myself included)

I don't know anyone who has the caldwell chrono. Makes it hard to compare without experience. Light kit would be nice for indoor range.

It wouldn't be worth $60 bucks to me to have the pro chrono connect to my phone. How often do you need to check velocities? I work up a load to make sure it makes a specific power factor with a safe margin or if I'm trying to keep it subsonic. Once that load is set, I write it down and never chrono again. For me, the chrono gets used one a year, if that. I guess it depends on how much time you spend on load development to warrant the extra stuff.

Top Bottom