• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    One of the local ranges here in Indy (Point Blank) is the only place I have seen it stocked.
    (I was told by an employee that it is also sold at the Indy 1500 show).

What I do know:
    In .45 ACP it is very consistent, feeds like a champ, lowest priced .45ACP/230gr rounds on the shelf.
    In .44 Mag it is very consistent, fits my 29-2 chamber perfectly, lowest priced .44Mag/240gr rounds on the shelf.
    Works fine for putting holes in paper.
    Both feel "very light" on powder. Especially the .44mag. Feels more like .44 Spc. (my barrel does not heat up at all like is does with the Remington equivalent)
    There is no data on the website: Midwest Ammunition | OHIO AMMUNITION AND BRASS

What I would like to know:t
    The specs on these cartridges. EG: fps would be a good start!
    Does anyone else have any intel on this ammunition?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I did see them at the 1500. They had the best prices on components in the entire show. as far as quality goes I have never tried it. I don't have much more information for you but if you have 10 rounds of the 45 I'll meet up with you, bring it home and chrono it for you to at least get you the FPS. info. They can print anything on a box lol until it's a proven company I always like to test it and see for myself

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Today I sent I sent them an email requesting some ballistics info. They replied rather quickly with a basic spec sheet.

As I had suspected, the .44Mag loads are a lot "cooler" than what I have been previously shooting.

Attachments

• Midwest Ammunition Specifications .pdf
      114.2 KB · Views: 192

WxGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2015
    Kokomo
    Noticed 357mag on the weak side also, my target load is a 158gr moving 950-1000fps. A 125 should be going significantly faster than that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've used their 9mm, .40, .45 and .380 while renting guns on the range at Point Blank. Everything worked just fine for plinking. It's very nice to have a range that has reasonably priced ammo to purchase for rental / plinking. I can mention a few places around town that charge close to $25 for a 50 round box of 115gr 9mm :n00b:

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I have used them for 45 Auto. Seem to be decent quality. I bought them at the Indy 1500 and the lady said that they were factory reloads which allows them to sell them at a lower price. I never had any issues with them out of my M&P45c. I would buy them again.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I've used their 9mm, .40, .45 and .380 while renting guns on the range at Point Blank. Everything worked just fine for plinking. It's very nice to have a range that has reasonably priced ammo to purchase for rental / plinking. I can mention a few places around town that charge close to $25 for a 50 round box of 115gr 9mm :n00b:

Agreed! Point Blank is where I got it as well.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A lot of the smaller reloading operations that tailor their stuff to indoor ranges stick to very safe, mild loads. If you want to crank up the volume a little, learning to reload isn't all that hard and then you can get exactly what you want from your ammo. It's actually pretty cool to be able to make lower pressure, milder recoil loads, if that's what you want to shoot.

I load up 200gr cast bullets in 44/40 cartridges for my kids to shoot. I use a modest charge of Power Pistol to drive them at around 1,100fps out of a Model '92. EVERYBODY likes shooting that gun. :)

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thank you Broom, that make some sense. (I am used to outdoor ranges and "hot loads" never seem to be an issue.) I can see where it would be an issue for an indoor range.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You're welcome, STFU. If you ever decide you want to give reloading a "shot", and have ~$300 to get started, gimme a shout. :)

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Info on the Midwest ammo is available at Point Blank. There are some data cards on the wall behind the range counter. Ask one of the staff guys/gals to show you.

The ammo is on the mild side.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Bought a few boxes today of 250gr 45 Colt from the Midwest Ammo table at the 1500. Only $30 for a box of 50, Not bad. And all starline brass, which i will definitely reload. And, it looks like this box was loaded with copper plated RNFP bullets.

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Info on the Midwest ammo is available at Point Blank. There are some data cards on the wall behind the range counter. Ask one of the staff guys/gals to show you.

The ammo is on the mild side.

I posted the sheet the MFG sent directly to me in the third post of this thread.
    (More info than what the "data cards" at the counter have.)

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Stumbled over this thread and looked at the specs listed. That .44 mag is extremely light.

Midwest Specs:

• .44mag. 240gr. RN
    • 1025 fps
    • 560 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy

Prvi Partizan Specs:
    • .44mag 300gr SJSP
    • 1279 fps
    • 1095 ft. lbs of muzzle energy

Winchester White Box
    • .44mag 240gr JSP
    • 1180 fps
    • 741 ft. lbs of muzzle energy

Federal Eagle
    • .44mag 240gr JHP
    • 1180 fps
    • 742 ft. lbs of muzzle energy

Buffalo Bore Low Recoil
    • .44mag 240gr JHP
    • 1350 fps
    • 971 ft. lbs of muzzle energy (yikes, and that's low recoil)

The Midwest ammo is dipping into .44 Special range. I bet it's pretty soft shooting at that point. On the other hand, that Prvi Partizan stuff is pretty sizzling. I've got a few boxes of it that I put on the shelf, but I'm still shooting through my old stash of Federal Eagle, so I haven't gotten to it. Even with the Federal Eagles, recoil is pretty stout (not awful though) with my 6" Astra .44 mag. I'll have to try out the Prvi's and see how they run.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Went to Point Blank today and couldn't shoot my green tip .223 so I bought 4 boxes of Midwest. Got 1 mag through the AR then total fail. The bolt got stuck. No one could fix it. Then I was told to not buy Midwest in .223 because there were a lot of issues. I'll never buy again in any caliber.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went to Point Blank today and couldn't shoot my green tip .223 so I bought 4 boxes of Midwest. Got 1 mag through the AR then total fail. The bolt got stuck. No one could fix it. Then I was told to not buy Midwest in .223 because there were a lot of issues. I'll never buy again in any caliber.
    I had similar issues with the 9mm ammo. The blowback from the round was not strong enough to fully re-rack the gun on my px4. I would frequently get FTE when using midwest. No problems with winchester whitebox, which is what I prefer.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    FWIW -- I called Midwest about a year or so ago about placing an order direct. According to the individual I spoke with, Midwest sells exclusively to Point Blank and at surrounding gun shows -- I understood they were somewhat of a subsidiary of Point Blank.

Top Bottom