• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stove Pipe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was told to store .22 rim fire standing up so the primmer stays in the rim.Is this correct.How long will ammo store if it is dry and clean.My father has .22 ammo that is 10 plus years old.He also has 7.62 x 39 in ammo boxs.Thanks :)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've fired 50 year-old ammo with no problems at all. Cool and dry is the key. I've never heard of rimfire primer compound moving, unless it would get pretty warm, but that doesn't mean it couldn't. I pay absolutely no attention to the orientation of the cartridges unless I'm loading them into a firearm.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I just picked up some USGI ammo cans. I didn't get mine here, but these are a pretty good price. Ammo Cans : Ammunition To Go

I also took some silica kitty litter and put it inside some cut panty hose to make some desiccant packs to help with the moisture.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ammunition can easily withstand any temperatures that people can tolerate. If you protect it from being immersed in water, it should be last as long as you do.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I also use 30 & 50 cal ammo cans as well as Cabela's Dry Boxes and MTM Plastic Ammo Cans.

Never heard that about rimfire rounds.
    Mine are dumped in 30 cal cans.

Midway USA has good prices if you have a C&R or 01FFL.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Just to remember
    Don't store the cans on concrete.
    Place them on wood or some type of buffer or insulation.
    Other wise they may sweat
    Cool dry and no severe temp changes
    also if stacking lots of cans make sure air can circulate around them for above reasons
    Thats why uncle & others store cans in wood crates

Farmritch

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    My dad and I just started reloading with powder he had since he was around 27. He stopped reloading a little before my sister was born. He is now 52 so in those 25 years it is still fine. The .357's we loaded up shot beautifully! We also shot some 38 special's he had that were just as old.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Does anyone know how long you can keep gun powder, A friend gave me two large cans of it.

I still use powder I bought as surplus in the '60s that was probably manufactured in the '30s and '40s. Just store it in the original container, indoors and it will outlast it's owner. Same with ammo. I dump 22RF into 50 cal. ammo cans and use it as necessary. BTW, 1 50 cal. can holds just a bit over 6,000 rounds.

daddysmallbucks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    SE Marion Co
    :)

I've fired 50 year-old ammo with no problems at all. Cool and dry is the key. I've never heard of rimfire primer compound moving, unless it would get pretty warm, but that doesn't mean it couldn't. I pay absolutely no attention to the orientation of the cartridges unless I'm loading them into a firearm.

Does that include shotgun ammo? I have some pretty old stuff that needs used up.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Does that include shotgun ammo? I have some pretty old stuff that needs used up.

Me too, my father and I are planning on getting rid of it here in a few weeks. Some of it is still the paper shell. It should be fine, just look at the brass if its corroded its probably no good.

Otherwise shoot shoot shoot

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Me too, my father and I are planning on getting rid of it here in a few weeks. Some of it is still the paper shell. It should be fine, just look at the brass if its corroded its probably no good.

Otherwise shoot shoot shoot

I know that this was in reference to shotgun ammo, but I recently drug out some 5.56 I had stored, and some of the cases have varying degrees of corrosion. What degree of corrosion on the case is acceptable, and when does it become dangerous. Can it be cleaned up safely?

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I wish I could answer this right now, I would need to ask my dad to clarify, but he is in bed right now so ill have to wait till the morning. I don't want to say something the could possibly hurt someone or even worse their gun! :): haha I just know if its corroded then there was moisture, and moisture and gunpowder obviously don't mix very well. When I figure out the answer I'll be sure to post.

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    So, from what I understand...

Ammo stored properly should last just this side of forever? Anyone have an idea if this holds true for .22? I read that it has a life of about 2 years. Not that it matters because I can't FIND ANY. (not that is less than 30 bucks anyway.)

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Ammo stored properly should last just this side of forever? Anyone have an idea if this holds true for .22? I read that it has a life of about 2 years. Not that it matters because I can't FIND ANY. (not that is less than 30 bucks anyway.)

I don't know what the 'official' word is on .22, but I do have some various brands that is 25-30 years old that I have been shooting up, and it does just fine.

(BTW- ammunitiontogo.com has some .22lr ammo. Not much as of yesterday, but a few selections.)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have had ammo that was severly corroded on the outside... couple thousand rounds given to me... i tossed them in my tumbler to clean them up and shot every last one of them.... wish i would have saved some for these higher priced times though.

Top Bottom