• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    It seems that many of the ballistics tests posted on youtube seem to paint Federal HST as the end all be all in defensive ammo. Have any of you fellow Ingoers done any ballistics testing for yourself? If so do you typically achieve the same results? Also that particular round seems pretty scare everywhere I look. Does anyone know of a LGS that keeps the 50 round boxes in stock?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    HST isn't the end all-be all, but it is certainly among the best and therefore I do use their 9mm ammo. I have not gone to the expense and hassle to reproduce results that others have publicly documented and few have for those same reasons. As for the 50rd boxes, I've only seen them at the 1500 and online, never in LGSes.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    HST isn't the end all-be all, but it is certainly among the best and therefore I do use their 9mm ammo. I have not gone to the expense and hassle to reproduce results that others have publicly documented and few have for those same reasons. As for the 50rd boxes, I've only seen them at the 1500 and online, never in LGSes.

That's pretty disappointing that LGSes don't carry the 50 round boxes :/. I prefer to spend my money locally when I can, but when the ammo is half the price online it's hard to justify paying the extra money.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Have any of you fellow Ingoers done any ballistics testing for yourself?

I participated in a ballistic gel test where 9mm 147gr standard velocity HST and .40 180gr HST (along with other offerings) were shot into bare gelatin, through heavy clothing into gelatin and through safety glass into gelatin. Most modern hollow point ammo from the big names performs well, the HST performs better with one exception. The HST is not bonded and suffers a bit when shot through safety glass, it doesn't fail but bonded rounds tend to perform better.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've noticed it has become increasingly difficult to find on the shelf at a LGS so snagged 5 boxes at the last Indy1500. I was only able to find the heavier bullets there too. I don't shoot it much, only carry it for self defense.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I participated in a ballistic gel test where 9mm 147gr standard velocity HST and .40 180gr HST (along with other offerings) were shot into bare gelatin, through heavy clothing into gelatin and through safety glass into gelatin. Most modern hollow point ammo from the big names performs well, the HST performs better with one exception. The HST is not bonded and suffers a bit when shot through safety glass, it doesn't fail but bonded rounds tend to perform better.

In the testing that you participated in, who was the winner? Or say.....what were the top 3 choices?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    In the testing that you participated in, who was the winner? Or say.....what were the top 3 choices?

Tagged for interest. I would also like to know what your observations were regarding 9mm 147 vs .40 180 grain in the HST flavor. I use these loads exclusively in my self defense pistols.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We tested through bare gelatin, heavy clothing and safety (auto) glass.

Gold Dot performs very well, I'd have no concerns carrying it but the HST performed better in our testing.

In comparing 147gr HST 9mm to 180gr HST .40, the only test where the 180gr outperformed was through safety glass. The 147gr was better through heavy clothing and in bare gelatin. The 147gr expanded better and penetrated deeper, the weight retention was near identical between them.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Thank you for your response! Do you see any objective reason to carry a .40 over a 9mm for personal defense, or even for law enforcement use?

Top Bottom