• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My favorite squirrel round after the leaves fall off. I have enough to last me for quite some time. Need to get busy and check the Hornady for neck splits..

I like it when you take a good head shot and you can stick your little finger clear through the hole. No crawl offs if I do my part.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Great little round. I believe it is the current production. I checked through the sides of the plastics box and did not see any neck splits in the rounds. People think that 22's are hard to come by should try to get 17 mach 2's!

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Love the 17HM2, was my go to round for plinking and small game hunting, but that was back in the days of under 4 dollars a box ammo. I am down to only 3 guns that shoot it now and only use it for hunting, with as many shots as I fire a season my supply should last me for the rest of my life. When the weather gets better I am going to try and recreate it by working down a load in 17 Squirrel.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Well I have become a horder. I purchased another box of 17 Mach 2 yesterday. New production from last year.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have seen ammo both at Crown Point shows and at Valpo show. Although more than likely prices that no one would pay and that is why they were sitting there. Also saw a nice Savage that a guy was practically giving away chambered in HM2.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    This may be true or, depending upon who reads it, may be a total fabrication (or in pol-talk, I may be misspeaking) but I have three guns in .17 HM2. A 10/22 conversion, a Charger conversion, and a Marlin 917M2S. They all shoot very well but are very rarely shot. I am apparently also a hoarder since I have about 1500 rds of ammo for them. The down side to all of that is, if you want to sell an HM2 firearm, you have a problem because there is no ammo available. Accordingly, I would consider selling all the ammo for oh say, $2.50 a round and throw in the guns for free. :):

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    The place I got the box of ammo from said "That would be a gun that you might want to get rid of". My take is it is a simple little gun that does not take up much space, does not cost much to just set. But I also would be more than willing to give the gun to someone if they would like to purchase my 500 rounds for $2.50 a round. :):

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My Dad has a CZ 452 American in .17HM2. It is crazy accurate, but like everyone else here, he has trouble finding ammo for it. He does not hunt with it anymore but wants to let my son start using it. I am gonna have to start prospecting for ammo for it soon.
    I don't know much, if anything, about the round or the rifle, so I am going to have to research that too.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sniper 79, yes you can ream the chamber to 17hmr, just need to find a smith with a reamer or find one you can give to a smith. I have a 17 Fireball that started life as a 17HM2 and a 17AH that was a 17HMR. Going from 17HM2 to 17HMR is easy in single shots. The only issue is that if it is a bolt gun the action needs to be long enough for the longer round, this means the longer magazine and a stock that will accept it. I have a ruger 77HM2 which is based on the 77 22LR. If I wanted to covert it over I could swap out the barrel but would need new hardware for the stock to enlarge the magwell to accept the longer mag. Switching the 77 22Mag is just a barrel swap.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Went to the range and shot close to a box of 17 Mach 2. Wonderful round that I thought would be more popular than it is. The shop owner at the range could not believe that I was going to shoot it as the ammo is so hard to find.

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    Someone at the last Stout Field Armory show had one or two cases of 17 mach 2.
    Didn't catch the price and don't remember them being there before. Only reason I
    noticed it was a buddy of mine was looking for a rifle a while back-had no idea it
    was so rare!

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Have not got down to TH yet. Next week after Christmas, I hope to get to Top Guns and get some additional 17HM2. I think that they are a little high on the price for $15 a box, but I have a hard time finding that ammo.

Top Bottom