• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I reload 38SA for 4 and 5'' barrels, 357 for 6 and 20" barrels, 9mm for 3.8, 4.25 and 5'' barrels and might eventually add 38spcl to the mix, so far only used in the 20" barrel. I was entertaining the idea of standardizing the projectile for all of these to one bullet weight and then developing loads I liked for each. I'm not a reloader of long or broad experience so I would like any feedback the community could offer on difficulties/pitfalls to this idea. Thanks all

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    It is simple ..... Pick a bullet, and start .....

Let's say, you pick 9mm 125 gr. jhp ..... can be used in .38, & .357 .....

Short barrel, fast powder like bullseye, 231 .....

Med barrel, unique, or some other similar powder,

20" then for .357, you can use slow powder, like 2400 Blue Dot, or some similar powder ....

load, shoot, write results .....

Repeat until you find the magic combo, for each of your firearms .....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Was wanting to get closer to 147 gr and wondering if anyone knew how that would work with the 38SA and 38sp. Checking to see if anyone has actually gone down this road already.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Loading for anything semi auto is going to pin you to certain bullet weights and powder speeds.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Was wanting to get closer to 147 gr and wondering if anyone knew how that would work with the 38SA and 38sp. Checking to see if anyone has actually gone down this road already.

Not sure what 38 SA is but I reload 38ACP and 38 special with Lee 358-125-RF cast and Titegroup powder. Works in both my old Colt autos and revolvers.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have quite a few. I'm aware of 38ACP but know few details. Do you trim the cases or are they the same length? 38 super is 9x21. One weird fact is the ammo is always marked 38 super +P even though there is no non plus P load. It was done to further differentiate 38 super from 38ACP. I know they don't want you using 38 super in a 38ACP pistol but not sure if its breech pressure or case length or both. In commercial ammo 38 super is 2x 9mm price and 357 is ~3x so i was thinking if I could get a compatible bullet weight across all three I could load them all for the cost of 9mm and buy larger quantities of components. Common 38SA factory loads are based around 129 and 130gr bullets but Buffalo Bore does do some in 147. A lot of 357mag loads are around 158gr but Fiocchi does do some in 142, so it doesn't seem like it would be a terrible stretch to do all three in 147.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Can you standardize a bullet for all those barrels, yes. Is it going to be optimal, no.

As said above, different powders for different barrels will help, but matching the bullet weight to the barrel as well as the powder will give the best performance.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    At best, you would be optimized for a couple of cartridges and limiting the effectiveness of your more powerful rounds.

I could see reducing your bullet choices to two, but three would be even better. What is your motivation for this...buying a very large volume of bullets at one time?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    At best, you would be optimized for a couple of cartridges and limiting the effectiveness of your more powerful rounds.

I could see reducing your bullet choices to two, but three would be even better. What is your motivation for this...buying a very large volume of bullets at one time?

Yes, and always having plenty of components no matter which I decide to shoot most

ETA: Have had some more time to dig into this. Just based off ballistic data for some factory loads I can see that I could do it but would always be compromising the performance of at least one and usually both of the rounds using the non-optimal weight bullet. Sigh

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You should look into casting, it's an antiquated tech to some, but can provide a lot of options in bullets for less money. The 38 ACP and 38 Super are the same case just different power levels, I also use the 38 Super case for 9mm Mauser.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have looked at casting a wee bit but am worried about availability of suitable lead and, more importantly, the wife is dead set against it

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have looked at casting a wee bit but am worried about availability of suitable lead and, more importantly, the wife is dead set against it

I can sympathize with this. In our current house and stage in life, casting isn't very practical. But, hopefully within the next job and move we'll be in a better spot for this.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have tried to tell her that there is 2500F between leads melt point and boiling point and she doesn't have to worry about lead vapor contaminating the work area, but sometimes facts can't overcome fear.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Too bad about the casting.
    I have one bullet that I use for 38 super 9mm 38 special. It is a lee mold 120 grain truncated cone sized to 357
    It works with the revolver loads with a roll crimp right at the start of the cone.
    The auto rounds can be taper crimped where ever you want.
    Your search got me to looking at some purchased bullets from SNS casting.
    They have a coated 147 grain with no lube groove sized at 357 that would be great for your idea.
    I might have to try some myself.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What I saw with commercial loads was that the muzzle velocity dropped way off with 147gr in 38SA, more than I would expect with the increase in mass. Its possible they're just being very conservative or that pushing the high mass bullet increases breech pressure in a non-linear way. MV wasn't much different from the 9mm load at the same bullet weight. Also it seemed that if one tried to standardize on a lighter bullet in around the 124gr area that the 357 mag performance was getting out of hand - as in becoming a flamethrower for little increase in muzzle velocity.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    What I saw with commercial loads was that the muzzle velocity dropped way off with 147gr in 38SA, more than I would expect with the increase in mass. Its possible they're just being very conservative or that pushing the high mass bullet increases breech pressure in a non-linear way. MV wasn't much different from the 9mm load at the same bullet weight. Also it seemed that if one tried to standardize on a lighter bullet in around the 124gr area that the 357 mag performance was getting out of hand - as in becoming a flamethrower for little increase in muzzle velocity.

JMHO, your flamethrower, is unburned powder ..... you are using too SLOW of a powder, for a 6" barrel .....

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    When I was in the experimentation mode
    with 125 grain bullets I could get the same velocity out of a comped 38 super as a 6 inch 357 with almost the same load of powder.
    around 1450 fps
    with a 158 grain the 38 super was maxed out at 1232 fps
    the 357 was maxed at 1334
    For some good factory ammo for 38 super try corbon 115 and 124 loads.
    good carry loads.

Top Bottom