• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Good afternoon everyone. My son and I reloaded some ammo yesterday.

It was some 308 for the M1919. He did most of it. I watched and double, triple, Quad... checked everything. Not to many issues. He didn't seat one primer deep enough and had one double power drop. All caught with no harm, no fowl.

The only part he did not like was dealing with the powder drop. Close wasn't good enough for the old man in charge. :lmfao: I ended up setting the drop to about a half a grain under and he used the tricker to top the charge off to the required amount.

He did a good job considering it was his first time doing 99% of it. He cleaned, deprimed, sized, primed, dropped powder and seated bullets. He is a long way away from doing it on his own but he will be able to soon enough if he keeps up the learning like he did yesterday.

When we were done he even used the linker for the first time to belt some up for the next range trip. It might even be yet tonight.

I am eager to try them. Think it will mean a lot more to him to shoot the ammo he loaded himself. I know he is excited to shoot them. We only did about 20 rounds to start. If it all checks out well we will do a few hundred rounds next. The 1919 is a bit fussy about the OAL. They need to be right near the upper end of SAMMI specs or they don't feed well. The round is 43 grains of 2460, bullet = Hornaday 150 grain SP's. With a OAL to the tip of 2.795.

We had a good time. Excellent father son time!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just started reloading last year and I taught myself.
    I did ask questions of people who have rolled their own, but mostly I just read different manuals.
    When I found something I didn't fully understand I asked someone.

It was a thrill to shoot my first hand-loads, but now I wish I'd kept that first round, just for nostalgia sake. Oh well, water under the bridge now.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just started reloading last year and I taught myself.
    I did ask questions of people who have rolled their own, but mostly I just read different manuals.
    When I found something I didn't fully understand I asked someone.

It was a thrill to shoot my first hand-loads, but now I wish I'd kept that first round, just for nostalgia sake. Oh well, water under the bridge now.

My son kept the first one he loaded. It now sits with the brass from the first bullets he shot. :D

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome. Now have him load a link of 10 with some good HP ammo for deer season.

It's a lil clumsy to drag threw the woods but with a 100 rounds belted up chances are good you will hit something, even if it's just a tree. :):

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Great job of teaching your son a great art. I have been slowly introducing my grandsons to reloading. I started this around age five. They have sorted brass, loaded / unloaded the tumbler and pulled the handle on the Xl650.

38 special was the easiest to teach them on. Those load really nice.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Great job of teaching your son a great art. I have been slowly introducing my grandsons to reloading. I started this around age five. They have sorted brass, loaded / unloaded the tumbler and pulled the handle on the Xl650.

38 special was the easiest to teach them on. Those load really nice.

He is already asking what's next's :-) I've got a bunch of .223 and 30-06. He got a 30-06 for Xmas so... ;-)

Last edited:

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Cool pic dad, I've had my girls helping me for some time now. One is 20 and the other 14 but I figured if they are going to burn up my ammo they might as well help. My dad bought my first loader for me in 1983. It will be with him for a lifetime.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It was some 308 for the M1919.
    The only part he did not like was dealing with the powder drop. Close wasn't good enough for the old man in charge. :lmfao: I ended up setting the drop to about a half a grain under and he used the tricker to top the charge off to the required amount.

Throw short and trickle up? For full auto rock and roll? Wow, that is tedious. No wonder he complained a little.

It is a good technique to learn for serious target work. Sounds like you are teaching him good quality control.

Good parenting in my opinion.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Pretty cool! So far my seventeen year old son has only resized, decapped and flared.

I did screw everything up and help him learn to set things back to right, but that is as far as we are.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Throw short and trickle up? For full auto rock and roll? Wow, that is tedious. No wonder he complained a little.

It is a good technique to learn for serious target work. Sounds like you are teaching him good quality control.

Good parenting in my opinion.

In mine too! That attention to detail will serve the young man well in many facets of life. And he will curse his father every time... :laugh:

The discipline does him well. He did tell me tonight that he really understood why we went the extra mile. I was proud to hear that!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For those who remember Woodstock;

We, who a along life's road.
    must like to reload.
    That's how we live by
    Teach, your children well,
    Their fathers well, they can shoot more.
    And teach them the machines,
    that they can fix, the ones they know how.
    And if they ask you why,
    tell them not to cry.
    these things are good,
    And know they love you.

(Crosby, Stills, Nash & Leo, because Neil Young couldn't make this gig)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've never heard that rendition, Leo. "I hope Neil Young will remember...a southern (Indiana) man don't need him around, anyhow..."

Top Bottom